Help- I clicked on a phishing email

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kingshrubb, Sep 26, 2008.

1. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

I received an email today that looked exactly like en email from Ebay. I clicked the link on it and was taken to a page, but it was sort of blocked (by firefox maybe) and the whole page was red and said this is a known insecure website, so I clicked "get me out of here". Is my Mac okay? Will this be bad for OSX? :eek:

I can link the email but it's probably against the forum rules?

2. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

You should be ok. Phishing is really about trying to obtain information and since you made mention that it looked like an email from eBay, it was most likely designed to get your eBay password so they can go in and list an auction and rip someone else off. I've gotten a few of those myself over the years. It shouldn't have anything to do with OSX or affect your Mac in any way. Regardless of what you clicked on, I would encourage you to change your eBay & paypal (if it's tied/linked to ebay) password immediately (as in...stop reading this and do it right now) and then report the email to eBay. In their help section, they'll have a place to send forward the email and let them know about it.

3. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Your fine, Firefox detected the site in it's known bad hosts list, and warned you, by clicking get me out of here, it re-directed you to a known safe website. Your Mac is fine.
    :apple:

4. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

5. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

It won't do anything to OS X (or Windows for that matter). It's just a website designed to look like ebay's. You put your password in the box and instead of going to ebay, it goes to the criminals instead.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

But if your Mac begins to emit smoke, back away slowly so as not to startle it.