HELP I deleted my Dock!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acuriouslad, Feb 20, 2009.

1. acuriouslad macrumors regular

I tried this on my iMac and am a noob, so disaster was right around the corner! I copied and pasted in the command from the 3rd site and boom my dock has gone and wont show up again, I have relaunched finder, had to do a had restart and it still doesn't appear please Help me fix it!:(

I'm so stupid, I followed the links in this thread and must have done something wrong, terribley wrong, I deleted my Dock!!! I don't know how I have restarted finder, reinstalled OSX and still no dock in the account in which I did it in!:eek: So sad right now :( I don't know how to fix it so please, please help me! I promise I will never touch Terminal again!

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Oh and by the way not only will the dock not appear but the applications windows won't only finder and and system references will show but program windows as such don't appear??? Help me please!:confused:

2. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Open terminal and paste this in, it might just work.

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO; killall Dock

3. acuriouslad thread starter macrumors regular

Also my applications windows won't open??? I tried the above and it said No matching process belonging to your were found :eek::confused::eek:

4. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

In that case.

Boot of the Leopard Install DVD (or the disk that came with your Mac). Choose 'Archive and Install'. This will keep your stuff but replace your system files.

5. acuriouslad thread starter macrumors regular

I heard that takes a lot of time but I'm not complaining if it works just wondering if I need to as I'm in a different account posting all this and this account works fine:confused:

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you still have the Dock app under Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices?

What kind of reinstall did you do?

7. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

If those things spinnerlys mentioned fail try Archive and Install the whole OSX.

(i guess you don't backup,right?)

8. acuriouslad thread starter macrumors regular

I tried the archive and restore and it didn't come back???:confused:

9. acuriouslad thread starter macrumors regular

I did and archive and reinstall thing, but still no dock :( I have on in the account I'm typing on just not mine??? I do have the dock app in the Core Services folder still when I double click it it does nothing

10. acuriouslad thread starter macrumors regular

When I did this this is what I got, I did it a few times

Last login: Sat Feb 21 22:33:47 on console
    Joshs-iMac:~ Josh$ defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO; killall Dock
    Joshs-iMac:~ Josh$ defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO; killall Dock
    No matching processes belonging to you were found
    No matching processes belonging to you were found
    Joshs-iMac:~ Josh$

Any more ideas??:confused:

11. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

From the Leopard cd?:confused:

12. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Sounds odd. Just make a new account and transfer all your files and settings over? :(

13. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Just use the new account. I know it's a pain, but it will probably only take you about an hour or so to transfer all the information to it.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If the OP wants to fix everything then it's best to do a full erase, reformat and install of Mac OS X. When you are new to the system it's best to learn how to use it completely before playing around with something you know nothing about.

15. acuriouslad thread starter macrumors regular

I got it back!!!

I got it to work I did this, reset from the apple support site,

delete the files com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.dock.db from homedirectory/Library/Preferences and restart Dock. To restart Dock enter the following command in terminal:

killall Dock

The moment I deleted those files boom my dock was back!!!! I'm so happy:):):):):):):):):)

I vowel to never touch terminal again unless taught by a professional.;)

16. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Good plan. It's very easy to screw things up in there if you don't know what you're doing. Of course, if you want to learn by playing around that's quite another thing; knowing what you're doing doesn't require a comprehensive knowledge of UNIX, only that you limit your activities to suit your experience.