Help! I did a terminal code on reboot and now mac did intro & wants registration info

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Marissa Gamble, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Marissa Gamble macrumors newbie

I am trying to sell my mac.. I did the zero out pass and deleted my trash can of about 500 files and froze for a very long time at 6 files left to delete in trash. I changed the desktop to default and was trying to delete the user login names and accounts and forgot the admin username and password. I don't have the Mac OS X disc install so i researched on yahoo answers this answer: You can try this:

Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X:
    Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
    the Working solution for me was to create a new admin
    you can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
    2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)
    3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

I did that terminal command.. and it really surprised me when Mac rebooted there was music and the intro of mac of Benivido and different words showing and choosing the language to english. NOW it's asking for a Registration Information??? What?? Ummm does this mean I or it for sure erased all my personal data and all... I am trying to sell this mac. Doe the people that take it have to fill that info or is there a way to bypass. I really need help. I don't know much on MAC. Help?! Thanks. ohh by the way did i do it right??

2. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

The Trash is not a good way to delete files. They can be easily dug back up.

Insert your Mac OS X disc. Reboot computer, holding the Option key. Boot into the Mac OS X disc. Use the Utilities > Disk Utility to completely wipe your Mac drive. Install Mac OS X.

3. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

You merely informed the OS X that it hasn't been set up yet, but all the information from user accounts is still on the disk.
    To do it properly:
    1 - fill in the information with whatever you want
    2 - set up a NEW ADMIN-priviledged account with an unusual name, so it will be easy to distinguish
    3 - browse to /Users/
    4 - drag all the folders EXCEPT for the one named exactly as the unusual name to the trash
    5 - you may need to enter the password once or twice
    6 - empty the trash
    7 - restart the computer using your procedure but
    8 - do not turn on the computer after you entered 'shutdown -h now' and hit enter.

What you've trashed will not be easily accessible (well, at least somebody would have to go just an extra mile). So you'd better of with a fresh install to an erased disk (or zeroed, if you're paranoid) anyway.

4. goMac macrumors 603

You need the Mac OS X install disk. That command is not what you think it was for.

Pretty sure the OS X install disk is the only reliable way to do this.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

OP states she doesn't have an install disc.

6. goMac macrumors 603

Unfortunately, OP probably needs to get an install disk...