HELP!!!! I don't know what to do !! mac keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scribbleoneida, Dec 15, 2014.

1. scribbleoneida macrumors newbie

I purchased my macbook pro in january 2009. I have recently had an issue with it randomly shutting down, and then not starting back up until 2 or 3 times. It then starts but doesn't stay on very long. Do to the fact that it is an older laptop, Apple Genius bar is not willing to work on it!! I also have not been able to find my original install disks so I cannot run AHT

What I have tried:

Resetting PRAM
    Resetting SMC
    ran disk utility (harddrive is ok)
    replaced battery (which really seemed to be the issue)
    checked all updates
    I have looked through some of the system information and everything seems to be normal from what I can tell.

HELP I don't know what else to do or how to find out what's wrong! I am a photographer and I néed my laptop for work!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Have you run the hardware diagnostics test from the Applications DVD? Insert the DVD, reboot and hold down the "D" key to go into the diagnostics program.

It could be anything from failing RAM to a component on the mobo to the power supply. Running a diagnostics test should tell you what it is.

3. Samuelsan2001, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Replace it....

It is 5-6 years old you use it for work it's time for a new one, you can claim the tax back and it'll soon repay you with speed increases and a faster workflow. Computers don't last forever especially laptops you should always have a capital replacement budget for them if your job relies on it.

If that is not an option first things first get it running then do a full time machine back up to an external hard drive so your information is safe. Then a new hard drive preferably an ssd would be my first port of call as that is the most likely problem or even a new sata cable as the ones in the 2009 version are notoriously flaky get an external Hard Drive enclsure and put the Hard drive from the computer in there and boot from the external drive if there is no issues then it'll be the cable I expect if you have the same issues it'll probably be the hard drive itself.

As the previous post points out though on a machine that old it could be anything. Is at a 15 inch one??? If so it could well be the graphics card so a new computer is the only option....

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Do you have a temperature monitor that can tell you if it is overheating? or if it starts fine and then after some usage starts acting up?

5. scribbleoneida thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not know where my disks are that came with the computer

----------

Wish I could do a new laptop at the moment but I can't. From what I can tell the hard drive does not seem to be the issue. It is the 15 in :(

----------

I do have a temperature monitor, and the Temps are within normal limits.

6. Samuelsan2001, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

330m

Has it got the 330M graphics card?? That would be my guess if so.... not a lot you can do I'm afraid.

Buy a new motherboard online and get someone apple certified to fit it???

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._nkw=macbook+pro+15+motherboard+2009&_sacat=0

With a couple of hundred dollars to get fitted it seems a lot to pay to get a machine that old back up and running....

Apple are currentluy doing 18 month interest free finance in the US may be worth a look if you are desperate....

7. scribbleoneida thread starter macrumors newbie

Graphics cards are the Nvidia GeForce 9400M, and 9600M GT

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

HDD's last about 5 yrs, might want to consider replacing it with an SSD or SSHD. Either will breathe new life into your 2009.

I'm sure you have a backup as any photographer would. But make a bootable CCC backup on a fresh external HDD just to be sure.

Reinstall Mavericks from scratch, reinstall your applications (easy if from the App Store, not so much fun if Adobe). If you setup iCloud properly your Mac should be able to repopulate your Contacts & Calenders.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Could still be the graphics card but a little less likely than that 330M.

To be honest your best bet would be to take it to a apple certified repair shop and get a diagnosis and a quote it'll probably cost $80 but will give you some idea how much it'll cost to fix....

10. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you know someone that still has the Applications DVD, ask to borrow it and run the hardware diagnostics first. Again, that should give you an idea of what the issues are/may be.

11. scribbleoneida thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know anyone near me that has it :'(