Help I have lost a folder!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pioneer22, Jan 19, 2011.

1. pioneer22 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a unibody macbook pro and recently i attached a flash hard drive. I had everything from safari etc downloaded to it to save some hd space i did this via preferences in safari. However when i disconnected the hd then started downloading, the files went to another folder somewhere called volumes/new hd/downloads which is where i used for the external hd when it was plugged in. I could only find it if i clicked on show in finder on safaris download bar none of the files would come up with a search.

Now i have installed a new internal hd and used the external hd i was using as a time machine to then reinstall the os onto the newer larger hd. Now i cannot find the download folder anywhere. It is there because i can see its taking up about 40 gig of space.

Thanks guys

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. pioneer22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope didnt work in afraid it says arrow untitled but when i open the folder is not there! I cannot understand where the files are!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you mean by "arrow untitled"? Did you open Finder and click Go > Go to Folder, then type /Volumes in the window that popped up and click OK?

Search by name for one of the downloaded files. From there, you should be able to find the exact path.

5. pioneer22, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011

pioneer22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope doesnt work never has the only way i could ever find the files i have downloaded was when i went to safaris download manager and found one of the filesand clicked show in finder. There was no other way i could find them.

It was just a shortcut when i typed it in didnt take me anywhere.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you download files in Safari, it downloads them to whatever folder you specified in Safari > Preferences > General > Save downloaded files to:

7. simsaladimbamba

What about using OmniDiskSweeper or Disk Inventory X or JDisk Report to look for big folders and open the folder via one of these applications in Finder?

8. pioneer22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i know this but perhaps you didnt fully understand the first post.

-I plugged in an external HD
    -I set preferences in safari to download all my files to my ex HD
    -So path is/was NEW HD/DOWNLOADS
    -Now because the hd needed power i couldnt use it all the time so i unplugged and forgot to change the path
    -Safari kept on downloading the files to NEW HD/Downloads even tho it was not plugged in.
    - Installed new hd etc
    Finder has clearly created the folder but i have no idea how to find it.

All i know is that it was something like Volume/NEW HD/Downloads

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I understood your first post perfectly. That's why I suggested you use Finder to go to /Volumes where you should see NEW HD as one of the volumes. When you open that, you should see the Downloads folder. Since Safari couldn't find the external drive, it should have created a virtual drive folder under /Volumes in place of the missing external HD.

/Volumes is usually a hidden folder. That's why you have to use the "Go to Folder" to access it.

10. pioneer22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really bizarre going to put my old hd back in and try and find it thru that perhaps during the time machine backup it didnt copy it correctly.