Help I have two graphic cards ;-)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kami79, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Kami79 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought a new MacPro last week (and really love it). I asked the people at the store to replace the standard graphic card with the Nvidia GeForce 8800.

Apparently they 'forgot' to take out the original ATI Radeon card. Lucky me...
    Or not?

Reading through the forum I found out that the two cards don't work together. No sweat, since I originally only wanted (and paid for) the Nvidia.

Here's my question: which card does my mac actually use? Does it always use the better Nvidia card? Should I take the ATI Radeon card out, or leave it there just in case I ever want to use 4 monitors?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I know almost nothing about hardware...

And best to all of you in 2009!

Kami

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Both will work together/at the same time in OS X, but not in Windows. Just leave the 2600 in, and use the 8800GT.

3. Meep macrumors member

I'm not 100% on this but surely the MP would use the graphics card that you plug your monitor into. The extra spare one will just sit there and take your power though depending on how the new Snow Leopard works that extra one might be put to some use.

Like I said i'm not 100% sure but what I said seems to be the most logical explanation based on what I know about computers and what not.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Unless you need both (for dual monitors, etc) sell it.

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Sell the one you are not using. Unless you figure your going to purchase a 3rd or 4th monitor in the next few months ;)

Cheers.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya Kami,

If you've gotten your card from the AppleStore (not onlinestore), they would of charged you for the new card, at full price! They did it to me when I was in Japan. When I made enquires they said they don't take out cards on system purchased through their retail outlets, as removing the unit would take the system out of specification. Custom builds only come from the online store...

Regarding it's usage. Your mac will use whichever one you have the monitor attached, it's cleaver enough to disengage the unused card but the fan will still spin and it'll still consume power.