Help. I just finished migration assistant and it gave me 2 users when I only need 1.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by i make movies, Dec 16, 2009.

1. i make movies macrumors regular

I'll make this short. Got a new 27" imac a week ago. I turn it on and set it up and everything is fine. I needed to get about 90 gigs of data (movies, mp3s, and documents, no applications or settings) off my 5 year old iBook G4. Had to do it via wifi, which took 13 hours.

When I started Migration assistant last night, it said I couldn't have 2 users with the same name, so I added my middle name to it.

Now, I have two account when i need one. When logged in as admin, I can look at the folders of the new user account, but there's a red circle on them. OSX says I don't have permission to view the contents. When logged in as the new user, I can't do software update without logging in as admin. This is annoying. All I wanted was transfer files, not create a new user.

I would love to get all the files from the new user account to my admin account. Sort of like mashing the two together. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Easiest remedy? Wipe your 27", reinstall Snow Leopard and then migrate again. Don't setup a new account after reinstalling. A semi-long process, but you'll it sounds like you created an account on the machine before migrating.

Tip: Buy a Firewire or Ethernet cable for godsakes!

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Well for one, go into the Administrator account.

Then go to System Preferences>Accounts and click on the OTHER account and click the box that says "Allow user to administer this computer"