Help! I just poured chai on my Macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ztark, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ztark macrumors member

I immediately removed the battery and disassembled the computer to dry out the inside. After putting it back together...it won't turn on. Once, the green light behind the number lock and caps lock keys turned on, but that's it.

I have pretty much accepted the fact that my computer is gone; however, the hard drive doesn't appear to have suffered any water damage. Does anyone know if I can put my hard drive in a friends macbook to recover some of my data?

any advice is appreciated!

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

get an external enclosure for a laptop hard drive and you can plug it into any mac and pull the information off

i would leave the hdd in a cool dry environment for a while to make sure that there is no water left in the drive before you do anything

3. ztark thread starter macrumors member

thanks,

just curious though...if I were, say, trying to access a term paper tonight...and I did not have an external enclosure available....would plugging the hard drive directly into another macbook do the trick?

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i have had luck doing it, but would not generally recommend it. given the nature of the emergency i would definitely give it a shot

5. animaxcg macrumors regular

6. hexagon macrumors member

Plugging the hard drive directly into another Macbook works best if the other Macbook uses the same basic hardware.

I tried to plug a hard drive from a white Core2Duo Macbook into a Unibody Macbook and it wouldn't even boot.

Also, instead of an enclosure, you might want to try one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Best of luck.

7. Jpoon macrumors 6502

These threads make me wince every time I read them...

8. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

me too since it happen to me before. i was in panera bread on the computer. i reached over to take a sip of jones soda and i dont know what happened it like slipped in my hand but i caught it. unfortunatly it didnt matter because it splashed all over the keyboard. afterwards its like wtf! turned it off immediatly and let it dry. about 3 weeks later it boot up again. apparently toshiba notebooks have a plastic splash guard under the keyboard.

makes me shudder every time i see these posts.

9. ztark thread starter macrumors member

plugging my hdd into another macbook worked fine and I was able to recover a lot of data. Now I guess I need to start thinking about a replacement.

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

How long did you wait for the computer to dry out?

It's usually not a good idea to try turning it back on for at least a few days, maybe a week after the water damage. It only takes a tiny droplet of water that hasn't dried out to completely fry the system.

11. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

My daughter spilled a glass of beer on her MB and totaled it......i am rather paranoid now about any liquids near my baby...........

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

You can always get one of those keyboard silicone type covers depending
    on your habits and enviroment.

And remember those liquid adhesive indicators inside all recent apple laptops.
    No more bs-ing under the warranty. They now can tell.

13. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

This isn't true. I swapped my drives between my white and alu no problem. It doesn't matter at all with mac as long as they're both intel machines or both ppc machines.

14. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

When, i.e. on what date, did you swap drives between your white and alu?

When the aluminum MacBooks were first released, this was not possible since the version of 10.5.5 that came pre-installed on them was a special build which had a different build number from the 10.5.5 that white MacBooks had. After Apple released 10.5.6 on December 15, the build numbers for both the white and aluminum MacBooks were the same (9G55).

So, on what date did you swap drives between your white and aluminum MacBooks?

15. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

Yep!
    And good chai isn't powdered!

But, more to the point, I imagine having Chai in your keyboard WOULD be worse than regular tea, as it usually has milk and sugar in it, too.

16. kennyli macrumors regular

17. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Irony, chai means tea

tea-tea.org haha

but seriously, the MacBook may need to be replaced. Sell it on eBay for some cash, then use that to assist in buying another

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

EVERY day now?!:eek:

Macrumors members are awful clumsy with their macbooks.

I think your pretty much screwed.

19. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

Hey, at least the posts have covered a wide array of different liquids. We've had water, milk, soda, chai, beer...

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Dont forget puke, man was that a great thread.