Help I just restored my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sekz, Sep 12, 2010.

1. sekz macrumors regular

i just completely restored my mac and i have all my apps and everything on my time machine...how can i get my mac to the backup that i setup..also my install disc is leopard and i backed up using snowleopard

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

In other words, you have re-installed Mac OS X on your Mac and your Time Machine HDD has the backup of the Mac before you reinstalled Mac OS X and now you want to get the data from the Time Machine HDD to your fresh installed Mac OS X (which has just the basic data it came with)?

MacOS X 10.5, 10.6: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

3. sekz thread starter macrumors regular

yess, what can i do?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Go to Applications, open the Utilities folder, double click on Migration Assistant and choose the Time Machine HDD as your source of migrating data from.

Maybe this can help:

Ah, I now saw your edit of your OP. If you have Leopard installed, and your backup is containing Snow Leopard, you might get into trouble when migrating applications. Data, like your files and folders in your Home folder, should be fine though.
    And whatever caused you to re-install your OS, might come along, if you migrate all the settings you backed up. You can manually copy data from the Time Machine folder called "backups.backupdb".