Help! I love apple but dont know where to begin!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by darylkotze, May 4, 2008.

1. darylkotze macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

Here is the deal, i have left my home country and im traveling the UK. So i have had to leave my desktop which i am extremely familiar with! I used my desktop for viewing movies, internet, burning DVD's, Editing on Adobe etc. I have always wanted an apple and now I have my chance! I am currently looking at getting the Apple Macbok,

Apple MacBook

Processor - Intel 2GHz Core 2 Duo
    Memory - 1GB DDR II SDRAM
    Hard Drive - 80GB
    Mfr #: MB061B/B

Or the...

MacBook 13" White 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/1GB/120/Combo.
    Superb value from Macwarehouse

Processor - Intel 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo
    Memory - 1GB DDR II SDRAM
    Hard Drive - 120GB
    Our Part: APMB15 | Manufacturer Part: MB402B/A

Ok stay with me PLEASEEE!!!! I have heard that you can run two operating systems on apple, is this possible on these machines! I have studied film and know that the majority of media productions all use apple! hear hear!! haha! So I know that it will be a benifit for me to begin familiarizing myself with apple and their software! Is all the basic software that i will need come standerd with the laptop!? Please guys any helpfull info or webz that i can read would be much apreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and a reply would be great!!:eek:

2. JoshLV macrumors regular

If you are looking into artsy fartsy stuff, I'd say go with the MBP. If not, the Macbook will be good for you.
    All current Apple computers can run both Leopard(Apple OS) as well as Windows Vista/Windows XP. To do this, they have something called Boot Camp, which is where you will install your XP/Vista disc. There is a tutorial somewhere around here. If you don't want to do that, you could buy the software called Parallels.
    As for things such as word processing, you can either go with Microsoft Office, and/or iWork. Personally, I have worked with both and I much prefer iWork!
    Sorry this is all I can tell you, because I'm new to Macs too!:apple:

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

on the apple OSX leopard most or all software you need to run comes pre-installed, to watch dvds, email client software,etc etc.

in order to run Windows on the mac you need an application called BootCamp, downloadable off Apple.com. this is officially endorsed by apple and enables the dual-booting of the machine...

good luck in your new adventure....

4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Get the 120gb hdd if it is a good deal. I think you need the larger drive for travelling. Look at the apple site for what all comes with ilife (pre-installed). That is all your basic digital-life stuff. Very good programs. You may want to get a word processor like iwork. If you need word, you may look into an open app like neo-office. It is free. That's what I use.