Help! I need a cheap website creator for a medium sized business!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jw2110, Oct 22, 2009.

1. jw2110 macrumors newbie

I used iweb09 for an online poker guide but I have just started a business which i know will do well. But i need to create a website and iweb09 just isnt powerful enough.

Are there any powerful ones out there for cheap?

Josh

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Many WYSIWYG editors are pretty similar. Dreamweaver or similar apps would be better but they don't come cheap.

3. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

Great alternative to Dreamweaver

I personally use Freeway Pro from SoftPress $249 rrp (Google it and you'll find it - probably cheaper). You could start with Freeway Express $79 rrp (prices are presuming you are in the USA). This may be the only version you need, but if you require the extra features of the Pro version there's a reasonably priced upgrade option.
    Both versions are available on a free trial download. The Softpress site has links to a gallery of websites created with Freeway, so you can get some idea of the possibilities. It's WYSIWYG by the way, if you don't want to get involved with coding.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you mean it "just isn't powerful enough" ? If you are looking for more advanced functionality (scripting, for example) then you should already know the kind of web development suite you need. What do you need that iWeb doesn't offer?

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

He said cheap.

I take that to mean limited budget, not poor quality, but capable of whatever else might be necessary such as database integration and server side scripting which iWeb isn't intended to do.

In my opinion Rapid Weaver at around $80 USD would be the perfect product, and price point, to test drive first before stepping up to something like Parkin Pig suggested above. Just so the OP knows, Rapid Weaver is well reviewed, popular and offers code and WYSIWYG views, has easy to install and decent selection of templates, is very intuitive but also an excellent development environment for personal and small to medium sized businesses. Meaning, not enterprise level, and far above consumer grade which is iWeb.

I'm not saying the only choice, or the best, you'll need to test drive and decide that. But I am saying, and I mean it, that Rapid Weaver is certainly full of features at the proper price point which you mentioned here. If it doesn't fit the needs of your company, you will be spending considerably more to save development time and resources which saves you money rather than wasting it on something that can't do the job.

If you're still not sure, tell us what criteria you'll need and we can help you narrow the search at a higher price point.

-jim

6. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I second this. Rapidweaver is amazing and it has many great plug-ins that do all the things you are looking to to.

Or get me to do it! ;)

7. jw2110 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestions guys. ill definetely try that rapid weaver out.