Help - I need an iPOD for mac OSX 10.4.11

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lizola, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Lizola macrumors newbie

Hi
    I feel like I'm from the Dark Ages, but I don't actually own an iPOD and want to buy one, was thinking of touch.

Problem is, my Mac is an old PowerPC G3 and only has OSX 10.4.11. The lastest iPOD touch specifies it needs OSX 10.5.8.

I'm not sure if I can or want to upgrade the G3, which with 900MHz processor and 640MB RAM I'm not sure will hold it anyway ( but I know nothing:)).

Any suggestions? Is it worth buying an older iPOD (I have been advised against it, but am willing to try).

All help and advice greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

2. skier777 macrumors 6502

I find that they last forever, so buying an older one seems like a good idea to me. But I take good care of my stuff... I think your biggest worry should be will it hold a charge.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

YOu can go with iPod Touch 1st gen. Those are still good. but idk on the battery life. If you get one, make sure you power off when not in use to save the battery.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch?mco=MTkyNDcwODk

I know you feel. I wanted to back my stuff from my iTouch 4G on my Powerbook. And it won't read it nor will it allow to charge. imo that sucks. Atleast allow me to charge it.

4. Sjhonny, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

Sjhonny macrumors 6502

Why don't you buy a second hand mac (G5 iMac for e.g. - you can get a 20" for the same price as a 64 gb Touch (latest gen)) + a new ipod touch? For both Flash Memories & Batteries sakes, don't buy a first gen iPod Touch. There batteries are like 4 years old ... Apple advertises 5 years lifetime for there 17" macbook pro's using lithium polymere batteries (less wear + higher energy density then normal lithium batteries). The battery in the Touches is like 15 times smaller + one compartment = higher chance on complete battery dead. The 1G are like 4 years old. If the battery in one would still be working, chances are that it'll be dead within a year.

Ps, apparently the 3G's work with iTunes 9 - so they should work on your mac :).

5. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Actually I want to tell you that you should update your computer now;)