Help I Pod Touch Gorn Dirk!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nevertomorrow, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Nevertomorrow macrumors newbie

Hey I swapped my old computer for a ipod touch today... (Don't ask) ... It has abit of a dodgy battery i was told by the person i swapped it with... But i was soon to be getting that fixed (Kinda) ... I plugged it into my p.c. (that has windows vista home premium) and then it said it was in recovery mode i was told u press and hold the power button and the home button and blah blah blah by a friend. it said to connect to my itunes and it read it ok ... my connect to itunes on the ipod touch is really dark .... i clicked restore and the ipod goes to the apple logo (still really dark) and i here it disconnection sound. on my itunes it says Preparing ipod to restore i leave it for about 5-10 mins and it comes up with. The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604). there is still apple logo on my ipod touch but the backlight is really dim... I played about with it a little bit unplugged it and tried putting it into recovery mode again without it plugged in and yes i get the apple logo and then the itunes logo telling me to connect it to itunes come on really bright... it restores fine and i am now using my ipod touch oh no wait ma phone is ringing at this point i leave it on my table with it unplugged and go get the phone come back 10 mins later and bam i hit the sleep wake button and bam i get the apple logo really low light again and :( what now... so i please the sleep wake button and home button and blah blah :apple:.... and try and restore it and boom get the error again... anyway you guys can help me without me going to the apple store?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Have you followed the 5 R's on Apple's website? Its pretty difficult to read your post to be honest, so I'm not sure what you've tried.

3. Nevertomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Im sorry.... no i havent i don't think... how do i get there?

4. Nevertomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope I havent tryed it... just tryed it and i can't achily do it because it's not abill to switch on... when i press the home and sleep button i get the apple logo and then the connect to itunes thing but it's really dark then i connect it to itunes and click resotore and it just get's stuck on preparing ipod for restore and then i get error 1606.

5. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Here is another way:
    1. discern whether you have a 1g or 2g. The 2g has a curved back and volume buttons
    2. go to this website
    3. download iPod touch 1g (2.2.1/5H11) for a 1g or iPod touch 2g (2.2.1/5H11a) for a 2g
    4. when you plug in your iPod, press and hold the home button and power button for ten seconds, then release the power button and hold the home button for 12 seconds.
    5. in iTunes, it should detect an iPod in recovery mode, press shift when you click Restore, and choose the firmware you just downloaded
    6. wait for restore
    7. load it up and use it!

6. Nevertomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks i tryed it and i get this when i brows for the file.

Attached Files:

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Open Finder, locate where that folder is. Click on it and change the name so the end (after the period) is .ipsw

8. Nevertomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I just tryed that and it still opens it like a file.

Attached Files:

9. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

You have to make sure when you download it that Safari/Firefox doesn't automatically decompress the file. That's why you're getting a folder instead of a .ipsw.

10. Nevertomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah hey i used firfox and i downlaoded write it dose the same as befor... I know what i have to do on the ipod touch when the connection thing saying it wants to connect to itunes ... when that comes up that is really dark for some reson it's like the backlight isn't working but i know if they brightens up it will work because the 1st time it worked i was like this and then the screen got brighter and it worked i just don't know why the screen is so dim.

But now i still get the error 1604

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

First you've edited the name wrong, in your original screenshot it's called iPod1,1_2-1. In the second one you've called it iPod1,1_2.ipsw. Why did you remove the '-1'? It should be iPod1,1_2-1.ipsw.

12. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If I understood the OP correctly, you actually did succeed with a restore and it worked for a while, but it died quickly. I have two suggestions:

1. You didn't let the iPod charge fully before using it. Plug it back into your computer and leave it overnight. -or-
    2. The battery is toast. There are places you can send it to have it replaced besides Apple.

My $.02

13. Nevertomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone thanks for your help... I left the iPod unplugged overnight and when i woke up today i tried putting it into recovery mode and bam a battery come up showing ts got very low battery so i plugged it in and it restoring fine dont know what its problem is but if it dose it again i will consider on getting the battery replaced.

thanks everyone for your help it's really good of you and i love you for it ;)

14. Nevertomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to let you guys know it has started to do it again from when i upgraded the firmware so now im really p***ed again LoL im going to let the battery run flat then try it again but on another computer but still don't see what the diffrence will be :S

Yeah and when i try restoring it now i get error 21 or 20 one or the other can't remember.

15. Nevertomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey yeah just to let you know it keeps connecting and disconnecting to the pc now what and i do?

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Blow the dust out of the connector port and the USB port on the computer and maybe try a different cable. Mine does that too sometimes.

17. Nevertomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes thanks all right this moment in time I am writing this from my iPod touch... I don't know what is making it do what it's doing but touch wood it isn't doing it anymore :) thank you everyone for your help I really apreshiate it :)