Help!!! I screwed up! Can this be fixed?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
957
0
I recently bought a ibook 12" combo drive. I was looking forward to getting a free ipod mini but I screwed up. I looked at the rebate form and didn't realise I had to buy them both on the same receipt. Instead, I bought the ibook online (with custom harddrive) and was looking forward to buying the ipod mini in the apple store then cutting out it's UPC and mailing it in with the ibook (when it ships) UPC. I went to the apple store today and they told me the dreaded news that I needed both on the same receipt. The ibook has already shipped. Am I totally screwed out of a free ipod mini now? Did this happen to anyone else? What can I do? :(
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,776
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Call the Apple Store (online)'s customer service. Explain calmly and sincerely what your mistake was (be nice... it is actually, sadly, incredibly obvious from the website that you have to put them both on the same receipt....) and ask them to help you out. Tell them you're really excited about being an Apple user and you want to get the full experience, and you just didn't understand the website and would like their help.
 
Comment

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
4,343
402
Boston, MA
WillMak said:
I recently bought a ibook 12" combo drive. I was looking forward to getting a free ipod mini but I screwed up. I looked at the rebate form and didn't realise I had to buy them both on the same receipt. Instead, I bought the ibook online (with custom harddrive) and was looking forward to buying the ipod mini in the apple store then cutting out it's UPC and mailing it in with the ibook (when it ships) UPC. I went to the apple store today and they told me the dreaded news that I needed both on the same receipt. The ibook has already shipped. Am I totally screwed out of a free ipod mini now? Did this happen to anyone else? What can I do? :(
call apple and tell them you wanted to order it and somehow it didn't work. probably they help you there. try some begging and crying on the phone.

you could always try to cancel the ibook deal (return it) and buy the same ibook again with the ipod. it might end up being better than getting no ipod at all.
 
Comment

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
769
15
CA
andiwm2003 said:
call apple and tell them you wanted to order it and somehow it didn't work. probably they help you there. try some begging and crying on the phone.

you could always try to cancel the ibook deal (return it) and buy the same ibook again with the ipod. it might end up being better than getting no ipod at all.
Good advice man! :) hehehe
 
Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,776
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just watch out that there is no official policy, AFAIK, allowing refunds on custom ordered machines, at least here in the US. Lots of people have found Apple friendly, but I was told quite clearly when I asked when I bought it that there was no money-back-guarantee period if the computer was customized....
 
Comment

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
977
9
Boston, MA
Basically, they don't have to help you on this one. However, they will probably let you return and then purchase both items together at your local Apple Store if you ask them nicely.
 
Comment

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
1,304
2
amin said:
Basically, they don't have to help you on this one. However, they will probably let you return and then purchase both items together at your local Apple Store if you ask them nicely.
There is a restocking fee on opened products.
 
Comment

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
957
0
I haven't received my ibook yet, It's in China right now. this sucks.
 
Comment

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
977
9
Boston, MA
EJBasile said:
There is a restocking fee on opened products.
I know, but if he is going to buy it right back two seconds after he returns it, they may well be willing to accomodate. After all, there wouldn't be any restocking involved, so why charge a restocking fee?
 
Comment

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The rebate center is hard core about " the rules"

I messed up getting my system 2 days before the
$100 education rebate started, so Apple customer service allowed me a $100 shopping spree for anything available at the Apple Store online.

I ended up getting the M-Audio Keystation 49-e FREE! :D

If you can stand to wait, then it may be best to completely cancel your order and return the iPod
as long as you are within your first 14 days.

10% restocking on the iPod would not be all that terrible.

Then re-order everything together by phone and
consider paying for express shipment.

You have every right to cancel/return your order no questions asked within the 1st 14 days.
 
Comment

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
957
0
FFTT said:
If you can stand to wait, then it may be best to completely cancel your order and return the iPod
as long as you are within your first 14 days.
Well the thing is I only ordered the ibook from the online store. I went to the apple store today to pick up an ipod mini but realised I was supose to buy it at the online store at the same time I placed my order for the new ibook. Is it a good thing that I haven't bought the ipod mini yet?
 
Comment

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
772
0
Really you should have just read the rebate form before ordering anything. It is best to print out several copies and make sure you read ALL of the requirements. This will help you avoid future problems with rebates.

But I would just call Apple and explain the situation and they should be able to hook you up. They are known for their excellent customer service.
 
Comment

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
957
0
FFTT said:
In that case just be honest and call in your request
to cancel/ reorder.
but how can I cancel if my order is already in the "shipped" stage?
 
Comment

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
WillMak said:
but how can I cancel if my order is already in the "shipped" stage?
Get your online order information and call 1800MYApple!

It may take a day or two for your credit account information to clear once you have confirmation
from your sales rep.

If you qualify as a student, don't worry the phone reps will just ask you to confirm verbaly.

In fact they may still be available right now since they're in California.
 
Comment

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
957
0
YAY!!!!! They Fixed it for me!!!!!!!!! Support (raymond) said what ipod mini would you like an dI said silver 6 gig and he said "alrighty!: and that's that! it's comming in two seperate invoices but they're all on the same order!!! Yay!!!!
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.