HELP!! I screwed up my wireless network!

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Ok...first off I will let everyone know that I pretty much know nothing about wireless networks even though I am at least in my mind very computer savy.

Here is the story, see if someone can make some sense out of it:

So my friend just got a brand new macbook the other day. They brought it over my house and we wanted to transfer some files over without having to just use a usb drive over and over again. I thought I would just try and set it up so we can see each other over my wireless network and transfer the files that way.

So I go to system prefs -> network, and I start playing around. I look on apples website and it says to turn on appletalk, which I did, however it didnt seem to do anything. So I went into the network diagnostics and started playing around and I think I changed my "location" from something to "Home" just because it seemed better/easier to understand than what was there....Anyway, so now I try and go to my internet and it comes up with the "cannot connect to internet page" Im thinking..crap, I dont know what I did. I look at my airport and it says I am connected to my network but not the internet.

The wierd part is that it crashed my local internet as well, I go downstairs to my family computer...no internet. Come back upstairs and still neither my friend or I can connect to my wireless.

The wierder part is that my internet at my house only seems to crash when my computer is on. I powered off my laptop, went downstairs, restarted the computer and the internet works, go turn on my laptop and boom, no internet again.

Does anyone know what I could have done and how to change it back? I want to restore my network settings to the way they came out of the box...because I could connect fine out of the box. How do I do this?

I know my airport card is not faulty because I was using the internet earlier, I didnt physically change any proxies or anything like that so I dont really know what I could have done. I switched my location back to automatic, but still no luck. Ive restarted and reset both my wireless router and our cable modem....no luck.

Please someone help me! ahhhh :confused:

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Ok...first off I will let everyone know that I pretty much know nothing about wireless networks even though I am at least in my mind very computer savy.

Here is the story, see if someone can make some sense out of it:

So my friend just got a brand new macbook the other day. They brought it over my house and we wanted to transfer some files over without having to just use a usb drive over and over again. I thought I would just try and set it up so we can see each other over my wireless network and transfer the files that way.

So I go to system prefs -> network, and I start playing around. I look on apples website and it says to turn on appletalk, which I did, however it didnt seem to do anything. So I went into the network diagnostics and started playing around and I think I changed my "location" from something to "Home" just because it seemed better/easier to understand than what was there....Anyway, so now I try and go to my internet and it comes up with the "cannot connect to internet page" Im thinking..crap, I dont know what I did. I look at my airport and it says I am connected to my network but not the internet.

The wierd part is that it crashed my local internet as well, I go downstairs to my family computer...no internet. Come back upstairs and still neither my friend or I can connect to my wireless.

The wierder part is that my internet at my house only seems to crash when my computer is on. I powered off my laptop, went downstairs, restarted the computer and the internet works, go turn on my laptop and boom, no internet again.

Does anyone know what I could have done and how to change it back? I want to restore my network settings to the way they came out of the box...because I could connect fine out of the box. How do I do this?

I know my airport card is not faulty because I was using the internet earlier, I didnt physically change any proxies or anything like that so I dont really know what I could have done. I switched my location back to automatic, but still no luck.

Please someone help me! ahhhh :confused:
Have you tried restarting your router... it could help.

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Did you turn Appletalk back off? That seems to be the only thing you changed that could interfere with the traffic on your network.