Help - I think have duplicate music files, even though.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reno71883, Jul 20, 2008.

1. reno71883 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am having a hard time accounting for all the memory being used on my hard drive. I am suspicious that i have duplicate music files, but two different duplicate finding pieces of software came up negative.

My "itunes music" folder says it had 39.2 GB but my itunes library only have 18.2 GB of music. How can i reconcile what is in the folder but not in itunes? Further, if there is just more music in the folder and not duplicates, as I suspect, how can I sync the folder to what's in itunes? (I could really use the extra 21 gigs.)

Thanks so much!!!

2. jshbckr macrumors 6502

The only thing I can think of is if you've deleted a lot of music, but never told iTunes to "Send to Trash." Therefore, the music would be removed from your iTunes library, but it would remain in your music folders.

3. Jimmizilla macrumors newbie

I believe iTunes places all of their files (Music, videos, ringtones, apps, etc) in the same folder. That may be why your iTunes music folder is bigger than your library.

4. Snowbound macrumors regular

My guess is actually a combination of the two. If you don't remember having had and deleting that much music, it's likely video files.