HELP! I think I broke me ribbon cable to the keyboard!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Radio Monk33, Sep 26, 2008.

  1. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

    Dec 4, 2007
    S***, I'm not as tech savvy as I thought I was. :(

    Why must Apple make the insides so hard to access..I've serviced tons of PCs. :(

    Anyways, the ribbon cable connection to the keyboard/trackpad has come apart in my hands, and not in the good way (like coming off from the motherboard. I think I'm screwed!

    I don't suppose anyone knows if I can just replace the cable or do I need to replace the whole top assembly?!
  2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Jul 22, 2005
    Because that ribbon cable is part of the top assembly, you're going to need to buy a whole new top case.

    For future reference, it pays to be cautious when taking apart computers, more so with Apple computers, and even more so with Apple notebooks. have a great database in disassembly instructions.
  3. bplein macrumors 6502a


    Jul 21, 2007
    Austin, TX USA
  4. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    @OP: If you ripped the cable and the male connect you need a new top case. If you just disconnected the male connector from the female connector, you are fine.

Share This Page