Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenatoBB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
I have an HD with two partitions, one of them (Sierra HD) was having enough space and I was trying to pass this extra space to the other partition. In this attempt, the partition that had more space was unavailable and I tried to restore it and inadvertently defined the other partition as a destination. When I realized, I closed the Disk Utility and now I cannot access any of the partitions and not even mount the HDs. Now, when I check the Disk Utility I saw that it did not help me to stop the restoration process: now I have two equal partitions. Is it possible to revert it or recover the RB partition and the respective files without using the time machine?

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I have an HD with two partitions, one of them (Sierra HD) was having enough space and I was trying to pass this extra space to the other partition. In this attempt, the partition that had more space was unavailable and I tried to restore it and inadvertently defined the other partition as a destination. When I realized, I closed the Disk Utility and now I cannot access any of the partitions and not even mount the HDs. Now, when I check the Disk Utility I saw that it did not help me to stop the restoration process: now I have two equal partitions. Is it possible to revert it or recover the RB partition and the respective files without using the time machine?
If you had Time Machine running, why not use it to get back to your previous system?
Either an external bootable clone or frequent Time Machine backups (or even better, both measures) are the best way to solve accidental problems.
Ed

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Please, some help.
I do not know if this might be of any practical value to you but I have solved many difficult situations with DiskWarrior, 4.4 or newer, it doesn't really matter which version you use since the work is done in the same way.
It is a very useful small app but it must be run from an external volume, a bootable clone drive or a small system it creates for instance on a DVD and on top of it runs the app. You can use an old external bootable MacOS like for instance Lion if you kept some old systems on external drives.
As long as you can boot your machine from that external source and it has a version of DiskWarrior installed in it, it can rebuild a sick internal volume and make accessible and bootable what previously was not.
Of course it cannot repair harware failures, only system problems.
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.