HELP!! I think i have been hackeD?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fromcha06, Sep 22, 2008.

1. fromcha06 macrumors member

i have a "shared folder" on my mac... no idea what it is currently named .... "the-b52087144a5" it says its a "pc server" and randomly a folder on my desktop changed with yanks pics in it... to "but i suck lol"

can some one hack into my mac? no one else uses this computer... (unless someone broke into my apt and did it.... no friends or anything)

please help!? how can i check if someone has hacked in? or has access?

what should i do? please help!!!!

2. fromcha06 thread starter macrumors member

i just checked my settings... no remote access is open... everything is un-checked....

3. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Look through your settings in system preferences:

[​IMG]

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm not quite sure what you are seeing, but I'll mention that if you see computer names in the left side of a Finder window, it just means you are on a network where those computers reside. Those computers may have shared folders you can read or even write to, but that doesn't necessarily mean your files are visible to them. That's controlled by the settings you refer to above.

If you found files that are actually stored on your computer that you didn't put there, that IS a bad sign. But it could be that someone had physical access to your computer, not necessarily network access. Of course, Mac OS X comes with a lot of files, and you won't know the names of them all, but they won't be on your desktop.

If you are using Leopard, and a folder in the dock changes icons, it's not suspicious. That's a feature of Leopard, called Stacks, to show the icon of the latest item in a folder like your Downloads folder.