Help! I think I killed my audio line-out :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zenvision, Sep 2, 2008.

1. zenvision macrumors regular

I accidentally fed back a lot of sound while plugging and unplugging my audio interface via firewire, switching mics and things...and i stupidly had my computer lineuout going into to my amp which in turn was plugged into my interface, oops. so i basically created a loop which has overpowered the soundcard i think...

so now sound is severely distorted whenever I want to listen via the lineout, either going to my amp or just headphones. The internal speakers are ok, but I can't use the lineout at all without it sounding terrible. this sucks big time as having accurate sound is vital to me (its my job!)

I think I still have applecare, but I'm wondering if its something apple will fix for free or whether it'll be a costly repair job...so thought id ask here first.

I also ran a hardware test and extended hardware test but neither found any problems...

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

hardware test isnt going to detect anything like that

yes they should fix it for free

3. zenvision thread starter macrumors regular

even though it was my fault? i basically blasted the soundcard to death :(

ive a feeling they may say it's due to my mistake and therefore i should pay...

or im just being paranoid

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Just don't go into detail. Let them know you were using your sound equipment with your MBP and then the sound started to distort.

5. zenvision thread starter macrumors regular

cool, fingers crossed they'll be ok with it

i can survive by using the interface as my audio out through the firewire, so working at home is ok, but until the lineout has been fixed it means no headphones so no working on the move :/

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

What F/W audio interface are you using?
    I use the Duet myself.