Help i think my macbook is infected :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xplicit0328, Oct 14, 2012.

1. xplicit0328 macrumors newbie

so a couple weeks ago i logged into my yahoo mail account in firefox and next thing i know ical pops up followed by ichat [i use neither one] than my mac crashed in the process of opening the apple mail app so i forced it to shut down and turned it back on and still had the pin wheel of death! finally once it stopped pinwheeling my yahoo account was set up with the apple mail app
    !!!!! somehow all the content i had in that account was now downloaded on my macbook in the mail application which I have NEVER had it set up to do! i told my bf at the time and he told me I'm just paranoid and made me feel stupid. well as days went by i noticed small things here and there for example I would be logged into google using safari and performing web searches and quite often it would stop loading pages I would have to turn my airport on and off and try again, and another thing i thought was odd was when I would put my search term into googles homepage and hit search it would also place what i typed in the url address bar for example lets say i searched potato chips [google.com] instead of saying http:// or url://www.google.com blah blah it would say "potato chips"
    in any case today i ran a scan in clam x and it found
    Scanning /Users/swoopsydaisy/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/History/http:%2F%2Flabs.alienvault.com%2Flabs%2Findex.php%2F2012%2Fms-office-exploit-that-targets-macos-x-seen-in-the-wild-delivers-mac-control-rat%2F.webhistory
    /Users/swoopsydaisy/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/History/http:%2F%2Flabs.alienvault.com%2Flabs%2Findex.php%2F2012%2Fms-office-exploit-that-targets-macos-x-seen-in-the-wild-delivers-mac-control-rat%2F.webhistory: OSX.Word.Malware-1 FOUND

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try clearing your browser's cache, cookies and history. The two items found by ClamXAV are not malware, but rather history items, which pose no threat. Make sure you follow these steps for safe computing:

1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....