HELP I Think My Twentieth Anniversary Mac is Dead

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Hi. I've tried everything. It turns on, chimes, fan spins, but it will never display anything on the screen...that's all it does. It happened after I attempted to add an Ethernet card (which was used in the TAM before, years ago). I let it sit for days unplugged without the battery, pressing the CUDA, replacing the battery. This thing sat over a month disconnected from all sources of power. I've tried everything I know. Please help as this is a valuable peice to my collection. Thanks :apple:

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
well, updating is out of the question.

Any Apple Antique Geniuses in your area?
goodness no. I am the antique apple genius and im stummped. haha. do you think letting it sit up with it plugged in and the battery back in would do anything? thanks.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
goodness no. I am the antique apple genius and im stummped. haha. do you think letting it sit up with it plugged in and the battery back in would do anything? thanks.
Did you try re-installing Mountain Lion?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :p

Did you try taking out the ethernet card that caused this? I would go back to the exact configuration the last time it worked.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Did you try re-installing Mountain Lion?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :p

Did you try taking out the ethernet card that caused this? I would go back to the exact configuration the last time it worked.
def indeed. i tried disconnecting everything. ive noticed that when i take out all the cache and memory sticks, the tam still does the startup chime. how will i know if it has bad memory or not? thanks.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
def indeed. i tried disconnecting everything. ive noticed that when i take out all the cache and memory sticks, the tam still does the startup chime. how will i know if it has bad memory or not? thanks.
I believe you don't get a startup chime with bad memory. I just put wrong memory in my daughter's blackbook and I don't think I got the chime. Instead I got a blinking power LED.

From cult of mac...
Startup Tones and Blinking Lights
The Mac’s distinctive startup chime is more than an aural brand, it indicates a successful hardware (POST) test. If you don’t hear the chime but instead hear a single tone, a series of tones, or see blinking lights, your Mac is indicating a hardware problem. This may be the logic board, bad RAM, the power manager, a video card, etc..
Bad RAM can be a common culprit – on newer Macs, a blinking sequence of lights at startup can indicate this condition. Fortunately this is easy to test for: shut down the computer, remove one RAM DIMM at a time (remove in pairs on the Mac Pro or PowerMac G5), then reboot. Repeat for each DIMM in succession until you find the culprit. See your Mac Owner’s Manual (or Google for instructions) on to remove and install RAM.
If RAM isn’t the issue, check the Apple Knowledge Base for information. Unfortunately non-standard startup tones often require a trip to a Mac service center for further diagnosis. These tones are the “Check Engine” lights of the Macintosh world.
Once the screen turns grey the hardware tests are complete, and the Mac looks for a boot volume. Software now dominates the startup process.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/50685/how-to-fix-common-mac-startup-problems-macrx/#fu9RsUGAz0ZtVrwq.99