Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

videotape

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Well, I finally decided to put down the money and buy a Macbook. I'm so glad! I've been using it nonstop! It's so gorgeous, the screen looks great, there's so many cute little features, and everything just looks so much better. However, I'm a little distressed because I think there might be something wrong with mine. I could be just nitpicking but i'm pretty sure mac's aren't supposed to do the following:

1. When I press the volume keys, up or down, the sound goes up and down but the little picture and noise it makes delays about five seconds.
2. When I use programs such as Safari, Garageband, or iMovie it often freezes and I have to 'force quit.'
3. Sometimes, not so much lately, when my computer freezes I can't force quit and I have to manualy hold the power button down. When it finally turns off, I try to turn it back on but the screen is just illuminated and blank. It never starts. Therefore, I have to turn it off AGAIN and then turn it back on. THEN it works.
4. My applications take a long time to load. Firefox probably takes 6 bounces.
5. Also, when I carry my mac around, the screen feels shakey, like it's about to fall off. My friends say when i'm using video on ichat that it looks like my whole computer's wobbling.
6. Finally, it gets hot, really hot.

I think that's about it. I'm just hoping someone can tell me if this is normal.

Thank you!!!

Porksword

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm going to say that's not normal and it sounds like you may have some bad ram chips. I'd take it back or pull one of the chips if you know how to. Does the screen shake toward and away from you or side to side?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Definitely not normal. The initial erratic behavior I would have attributed to bad memory or a logic board, which may still be the case. However, the whole "wobbly" screen thing is just not right. If you have an Apple store near you, I'd bring it in.

If not, call AppleCare and get them to take a look at it. In either case, make sure you've backed up stuff you need to keep from your HD.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Definetly not right. I havent heard of the shakey screen thing but that sounds like a big problem. On my 1.8 GHz iMac Firefox usually only takes 1-2 bounces, so something is not right.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Definetly not right. I havent heard of the shakey screen thing but that sounds like a big problem. On my 1.8 GHz iMac Firefox usually only takes 1-2 bounces, so something is not right.

really? firefox takes 5-6 bounces for me. I'm using the BonEcho optimized intel one. how can I make it 2 bounces???!!

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
really? firefox takes 5-6 bounces for me. I'm using the BonEcho optimized intel one. how can I make it 2 bounces???!!

I have a Core 2 Duo, with only 768MB of memory. It usually takes 3 bounces the first time I start it up and then 1 every time after that. I am always surprised on how fast my computer is when compared to my friends c2d 2.1 GHz. Maybe i just got lucky?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.