Help: I wanna buy a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calidreams, Apr 18, 2013.

1. calidreams macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I've been using an old Compaq laptop which I think is a 2005 model. I'm pretty content with it since it doesn't give me problems but just a month ago, it stopped working, won't connect to the internet, won't sync my iPhone and iPad to my iTunes (very annoying!)

So I decided to buy a new laptop. I really want a the MacBook Pro w/ retina display but is it a right time to buy? I'm afraid Apple will release a new MacBook Pro this year. Do they release new MacBook's yearly? :confused:

Thanks for your help!
    Audrey

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

They certainly do. They usually announce them at WWDC in early June, then they ship in late June to early July. However, the new Intel processors (Haswell) have been delayed due to a USB 3.0 glitch, so they will not come out until late July withut the problems. So expect the new ones to come out August-September pessimistically.

So if you are afraid they will release a new computer this year, they definitely will. If you need the computer now, you should buy it now. The retina recieved a refresh in February, so they are relatively new. However, if you can hold off, you should because who knows what Apple will do with the retinas this year in terms of specs and features?

However, it sounds like you really can't wait. What do you use the computer for? Maybe go for a $199 Chromebook to tie you over until the new MacBooks are released...

3. calidreams thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I guess I could wait for the new MacBook Pro and just use my desktop for now. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with my iPhone and iPad as it's not backed up. I tried copying my library to my desktop but it just won't bloody work! I can't even open my Guest account, where I sync my iPhone so I can't get the backup there.

Anyway, when I get a new MacBook I'd probably spend weeks trying to learn it as I grew up using Windows. But I figure it will be user friendly like iPhone's and iPad's? I'm an idiot when it comes to gadgets. I can't even figure out how to use Samsung cellphones :eek:

Anyway, what is a Chromebook?

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

A ChromeBook is typically a very cheap laptop with minimal specs (software made by Google) that can only run the Internet and its services. So having a Google account would be invaluable, because you can run Google Drive for Word, Groovesark/Pandora/etc for music. It's not a good computer, but it is good to tie you over for a few months while you wait for a new gadget, and Apple computer's OS (OSX) is very easy to learn.

5. Queen6, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Set a budget, go to the nearest Apple store, buy the one you like most, whatever you buy will "blow you away" compared to your old machine. Right now Retina is pricy, the 15" is a powerhouse, subsequently the price reflects, the 13" less so more aimed at the mass market if you can live without the internal DVD drive the 13" is likely your best bet. The 15" offers a great deal more power both computation and graphical, equally if the 15" is in your budget it`s a phenomenal computer offering near desktop performance in a highly portable form factor.

If you need the internal DVD, look to the standard MBP`s or you can use any external USB DVD drive. Forget the Chrome Book, as it`s useless without an internet connection. As for time if you need now, buy now, the next generation will only offer an incremental improvement on performance & battery life.

6. snaky69, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

snaky69 macrumors 603

Seeing as you got by with an 8 year old computer, the fact that they release a new model or not is irrelevant to you, seeing as you probably won't even use 10% of the computer's capabilities in terms of power.

Buy away. The new model, when it comes(probably around mid-summer, as Intel will release new processors then), will not feature anything you're likely to use/notice.

OS X is very easy to learn, I doubt you'll take weeks to learn it.

But if you want my honest opinion, if an 8 year old computer sufficed for your needs, ANY current generation mac will far exceed the performance you're looking for, and cost you more than a comparable PC. Unless you insist on getting a Mac for a reason or another, I'd consider buying a decent quality PC and saving money.

7. Laco macrumors 6502

I agree with this. Based on your needs you will most likely not notice any difference between the current model and the one expected to be released in a few months. So not waiting and buying right now, if you have the money, is probably the right decision for you.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

They release it every single year.
    So even if you buy a brand new one on a release date, it wont be "new" by the next year.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They haven't announced at WWDC in a while. I'm not sure whether cpus will actually be ready by that time in the current year, so it may be later. The refresh was just a dropin. They may have made internal design tweaks and improvements, but the change in specs was relatively meaningless from the prior Ivy models.

10. B... macrumors 68000

B...

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/06/11/everything-that-apple-announced-today-at-wwdc/

Last year they announced at WWDC the rMBP 15" and the Air and Pro upgrades. I agree about the upgrades in February though.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I agree with the other posters in that anything right now will suffice for you seeing how you got by with a 8 year old computer. I recommend a MacBook Air, specifically the 13". It's one of the cheapest MacBooks (apart from 11") but it's also thin, light and powerful. I run lots of engineering type software on it for work and school. No problems at all.

13. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Never wait for new hardware, unless it's happening in the next week or two. Complete waste of time. Yes there will be a new one out. I bought a retina MBP the day after they came out and it's obsolete already! :)

But I would suggest you have a poke about on the refurb store. Models on there won't be obsolete so quickly, and are cheaper to start with. If the new one does come out in July (or more likely August/September), then it won't be available on the refurb store until nearly Christmas if not later.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Amen! I agree!