Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwasrobbed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Wirelessly posted

My house was broken into last and MacBook pro stolen. I have the find my iPhone app installed and enabled on both my phone and MacBook. I immediately set it to email me when it got a location of my book. Now I got an email showing me, down to roughly a square block where my laptop is. Is there anyway I can get more info by calling Apple to see what network it pinged off of. Also I'm having trouble understanding exactly how it's working as I have a password login and through the app I locked it with a code. How could it ping me a location without connecting to a network? Thanks for your help

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I'm pretty sure the computer can still access the web for basic functions because in the event of a crash with lion you need to be able to access apple's server. It also works in this case with find my mac. I'd say it must be near an open network, either somebody doesn't have a password or its at a starbuck/mcdonalds/etc. I'd call the cops and get somebody over there asap. I doubt Apple will tell you the specific network it's on, and even if you know it's not as if they're network id will be the address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.