Help-i5 Mac mini Kernal Panic Issues-Graphics Card?-Help

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by AppleMactablet, Aug 12, 2011.

1. AppleMactablet macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

My i5 Mac mini which I installed an SSD and 8GBs of Ram has been having some trouble lately*
    When I run minecraft-all the blocks have one side that is black, no color- and then within a minute or less of running it, it crashes
    It was running just that game at 105% CPU*
    the same for Portal, it looks fine than crashes with 45seconds or less
    And when I say crash I mean Kernal Panics 4or more now-and it's only been a couple of days with the new Mac
    I really think it's my graphics card, the IntelHD card

As I did install my own SSD and Ram-could I just reinstall Apple's stuff back in and send it in-How that's work?

2. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Just going to suggest you check your fan, I too did some hard drive messing around lately and I hadnt pushed my fan connector all the way down.

3. AppleMactablet thread starter macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

ill check it again but from iStats the fan was running and I nver unhooked the fan in the install

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I doubt they'd be fooled by that.

5. japtor macrumors regular

Swap the original RAM back in. You might have bad RAM or just something the mini doesn't like. If that doesn't work try the drive next.

6. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I echo trying the RAM and then the SSD. Also post the kernel panic text in a post... that's what others do.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish to choose the Apple (Toshiba or Samsung) SSD.

7. AppleMactablet thread starter macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

found out the Intel HD 3000 graphics cards dont support OpenGL or in other words dont play games like Portal or Minercraft - the games may run or crash or just look like junk becuase if the bad intel card
    hopely apple will let me pay the diffence to upgrade to the other mac mini with the better card and btw the ram is fine checked it

8. japtor macrumors regular

...you may have been misinformed or misinterpreted something. You probably mean OpenCL, or maybe a newer version of OpenGL. Either way Portal and Minecraft should be fine though.

Was the OS X install on the SSD fresh or was it carried over from an older machine?

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You found out wrong as per the previous poster.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

Both Minecraft and Portal 2 will run with the Intel HD 3000 all be it Portal 2 will probably have to be run at low to medium settings.

11. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Kernel panics = ram. Run apple hardware test to confirm.