Help! iBook G4 Screen...

complex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Right being my stupid self i dropped my iBook G4, the strange thing is that it was only a small drop but seems to have had a big impact!

When i turn the iBook on the screen is fine when loading up, it makes it to the desktop however after about 10-15 seconds the screen shuts off asif i had closed the laptop. If i press a key it recognizes the laptop is open and turns the screen back on, however it is extremely dark and almost impossible to see. However yet again, after 5 or so seconds the screen shuts off asif the laptop were closed.

Any ideas what i can do to fix this? Can i open it up and push a few cables in?

any help appreciated.

complex.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Sounds like you broke the mechanism that makes Mac laptops sleep (or wakes them up) once the screen is closed (or opened) to a critical angle.

Sadly, that's as far as I can go. I've never looked into a problem like this before, and have no idea how the sleep/wake mechanism works.

complex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
hmm yeah i thought that might be it :(

thankfully the actual screen isnt broken, it works perfectly when loading up! :D

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
complex said:
hmm yeah i thought that might be it :(

thankfully the actual screen isnt broken, it works perfectly when loading up! :D
That's good to hear. Hopefully someone with more experience in gutting iBooks will read this and may know an easy fix for it. :)