Help! Ibook g4 stuck on startup screen!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rynoburgy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. rynoburgy macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I have an iBook G4 1 ghz PPC processor with 1.25gb RAM, 80gb HD. I had Mac os x 10.4.11 installed and all was going great. I previously made an iso of a Mac OS X 10.5 install DVD and wanted to boot from this ISO on my iBook. I opened disk utility (this is where i think i went wrong) and restored my Macintosh HD with this ISO. Almost instantly after doing this my computer crashed, and now will not log on past the startup screen (apple logo, spinning wheel). I do have a restore DVD however it is for panther and I only have one of two. I have tried repairing the disk using disk utility with no luck. When I choose the startup disk it gives 3 options
    1. Mac OS X 10.3.3 on iBook Software
    2. Mac OS X 10.5.1 on Macintosh HD (selected by default)
    3. Network Startup

I have tried restarting and it won't start up. I also can't figure out why Mac OS X 10.4.11 doesn't come up as an option for the startup disk?
    I have 3 main questions:
    1. Did me restoring my HDD with MAc OS X 10.5.1 delete the Mac OS X 10.4.11?
    2. Can i delete the Mac OS X 10.5.1 and get the old Mac OS X 10.4.11 back?
    3. Will simply buying a Leopard install DVD (like this one http://www.ecrater.com/p/11547610/apple-macbook-mac-os-x-1052-leopard) get my computer back in shape?
    I don't have a lot of experience in troubleshooting macs and any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if i am posting in the wrong spot, or if you need more information.
    Thank you all in advance,
    -Ryan
    burgessryan1@yahoo.com

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I'd say you overwrote your 10.4 with an incorrect installed 10.5 (*doh*).

Buying a Leopard DVD and doing a clean install should do the trick, but I'm not so sure if 10.5 is the right choice for such a lowspec unit.

My iBook (1.33GHz,1.5GB Radeon9550) is the only PPC (out of many) that I kept Tiger .....

3. rynoburgy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks so much for the quick response!
    So you would recommend re-installing tiger using a software restore dvd, and just to forget about leopard? And one other thing, will doing a software restore with the DVD erase my hard drive, or will everything still be ok?

Thanks alot!