Help! iBook Hangs On installation of 10.5.4!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mars478, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Hey All!
    I was installing 10.5.4 on My iBook G4 and when it said restart i restarted and the little software update window stopped the restart and said "installing software" and now it has hanged at "Running Installer Script"!
    What should I do Force shut it down or let it be for a while or if u have any other suggstions i would very gratefull!

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Let it sit a while longer

Let it sit a while longer, there is no harm in trying to wait it out. Make sure its plugged in so that the battery doesn't run out. It may not fix the problem, but it can not do any harm.

Is there anything else plugged in to your iBook? My wife had a Tiger update freeze because a flash drive was plugged in (I assume that it was the flash drive as that was the only difference between other successful updates).

If waiting it out doesn't work, and I mean give it at least 1/2 hour more.... then all you can is push and hold the power button until the system turns off. Wait a minute for all those racing around electrons to settle down, and then turn it back on. With just a little bit of luck, it will pick up right where it left off. Again, give it time to work through all the scripts. There is no harm that can be waiting longer than you have to. There are things you can break by being impatient. Also note, assuming that all is all on the restart, that others have reported that the system runs slow immediately after the update. This will go away after 15 to 30 minutes of use, they say, as it is the system rebuilding caches and whatnot. This is normal.

If this doesn't fix it, then I'm not sure what the next step is. (knocks wood) I've not really had to do much "fixing" with our Apples. To fix my wife's Tiger issue I updated her to Leopard.

I think your next option is to try to boot up in single user mode. But others will have to guide you here.

Good Luck

3. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Thank You SOOOO Much!!! I eventually got tired of letting it wait and restarted it... BUT when I checked software version it was 10.5.4!!! LOL! it seems that the progress bar window image got stuck while it was done installing!!!

4. Bigtree macrumors 6502

5. rouxeny macrumors 6502

Help. The same thing is happening to me on my Mac Pro and I can't figure it out. I'm going from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4 and the bar gets stuck while I'm trying to reboot. I think it's at "Download configuration" but I'm not sure. I've tried letting it sit, overnight actually, and no dice.

Is there some way I can "erase" the downloaded update that I have and re-download it?

Any other suggestions?