Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple4life

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
iBook 1.07 ghz running 10.3.4. The screen stays black when coming back from sleep. The hard drive is being accessed, you can hear it, but the screen doesn't light up. I have to power down by holding the start button and then restart. Is anyone familiar with this problem and know a fix?

It's something that happened every once in a great while and now it is happening consistantly after every prolonged sleep. If I put it to sleep for a few minutes it will power back as normal. But for longer periods of time it will not.

I was thinking of reinstalling the OS but I need to get a back up hard drive to store all my music first, 5 gb worth. Everything else important is already being backed up to CD's frequently in fear of this thing dying completely.

Also, I have changed the energy savings from various custom settings to automatic and nothing helps.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
apple4life said:
iBook 1.07 ghz running 10.3.4. The screen stays black when coming back from sleep. The hard drive is being accessed, you can hear it, but the screen doesn't light up. I have to power down by holding the start button and then restart. Is anyone familiar with this problem and know a fix?

It's something that happened every once in a great while and now it is happening consistantly after every prolonged sleep. If I put it to sleep for a few minutes it will power back as normal. But for longer periods of time it will not.

I was thinking of reinstalling the OS but I need to get a back up hard drive to store all my music first, 5 gb worth. Everything else important is already being backed up to CD's frequently in fear of this thing dying completely.

Also, I have changed the energy savings from various custom settings to automatic and nothing helps.

Could also be a bad reed switch? Inverter that runs up the side of the screen and tells it when the laptop is open and turns on the screen? What happens to the sleep light?

apple4life

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
re: sleep light

The sleep light pulsates normally while sleeping and stops when woken...

Thank you for the PMU link but I'm unable to access it through dial-up (apple's site isn't so dial-up friendly). I'll have some use of high speed in a few days and try it then.

I know, 1.07 G4 and dial-up... I'll have to step it up soon.... hopefully MacBook in January or if/when they're bumped in the fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.