Help identify ibook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iluvifone, Apr 17, 2011.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

So my brother was cleaning out his apartment and found this in his closet:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6389/photo1ov.jpg

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1385/photo2xd.jpg

he told me he bought it between 02-04, and that i could have it if i fix it (it's broken, plus he has a macbook air now..)..

I've always wanted a mac, just to play with them, and possibly adventure into XCode (i'm in software engineering in university, and i'm really curious to play around with the whole iphone api, but i haven't justified paying 1500$ for a new mac just for that reason..).

Right now, the mac doesn't power on, and when plugged into the wall charger, it blinks orange like crazy (which according to my brother, means that something is sriously wrong..).. after a minute or so of it being plugged in, you can smell smoke lol.. i guess something might be burning inside?

I'm considering taking it to the apple store to see how much it would cost to fix it.. I'd do it if it was <300$ish, since thats my budget right about now.

Before i take it there though, i'm trying to identify the exact model so i can have a look at the specs online, since he told me it had like a 10gb hard drive lol, so it might not be worth my time..

Thanks!

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It looks to be a 14" G3 iBook – if memory serves a lot of them were plagued with logic board problems.

I don't think any of them came with a 10GB hard drive though, they varied between 20-40GB. It looks to have a Mini-VGA port, which would make it a 700MHz, 800MHz or 900MHz model.

Is there a model number on the thing?

3. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

4. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i just measured it with a ruler haha, 14" screen diagonal.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, the model number would tie in with my suspicions – and as mentioned, they had a bit of a reputation for problems.

The smell of burning generally isn't a good sign where computers are concerned. ;)

6. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it won't hurt to set up a genius appointment and see what they say :)

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

8. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you! it either works (or is fixable for a small price,), or it's garbage!