HELP! Identify these alert sounds PLEASE.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Daremo, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Hey guys,

So, since picking up the 5s and installing all my apps from scratch, I constantly get alert sounds from something, and I can't locate this. I have turned off sounds from just about every app i think it can be, and it still happens. It's loud, and piercing, and totally random. It seems to happen more in the evening hours. I set up my Mac to audio record, and a caught a couple, and I'm HOPING someone here can identify this and tell me what app it is. It's actually startled me awake a few times. It's got to go.

Hopefully this dropbox link works...

Alerts

Thanks!

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

3. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Thanks for responding. That is currently what I'm doing at night now, but I know this is app specific and I'll love to figure out the culprit. I'm still hoping someone can identify the app for me.

4. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Perhaps this might help someone figure this out?

Attached Files:

5. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Could this possibly be an app running in the background, and not a notification?

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's possible. My suggestion is to turn the sound notifications off for every app (except for the ones we know it's not, like App Store, Message, Mail, etc..)

Turn them on one at a time over the next few days and keep track of if you hear it or not.

7. desease macrumors newbie

Same issue with random alert

Interesting that this is the same alert sound that is driving me crazy! The fact that it even sounds when the iPhone is in "Do Not Disturb" mode is real disturbing! I've taken all of the steps that you too have tried and have had not success. The fact that there is no message displayed in the notification center is also strange. This did not start until I upgraded to IOS7 along with all of the automatic App updates that went along with it. Hopefully someone will find an answer.

8. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

So, I've killed all by background apps, and it SEEMS to have stopped. I'll know when the day is over. Possible culprits making background noise... Vine, Path, Instagram... I'd REALLY love to know what the hell this is.

And, while I know the frustration, I'm glad to know I'm not alone here. :)

9. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

OK, so after killing all by apps running in the background, the noise stopped last night. I'm fairly sure the alerts are from an app that runs in the background. Now, I will launch apps one by one that I think could be the culprit and try to figure this out. I'll let you know if I can pinpoint it.

10. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

I finally figured it out. It's indeed a background app and the culprit is "Downcast." You can disable the sounds in the setting within the app, but that's exactly what it was for me. Each time the app would look for a new podcast update. I hope this is the same for you!

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Holy H***! I'm glad you figured it out, that is one majorly annoying sound!