Help identifying unknown menu bar icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TimNiego, Oct 15, 2008.

1. TimNiego macrumors newbie

I've got an unknown menu bar icon that is grayed out, doesn't show up under "safe boot" and is only on my MBP. Any help would be appreciated. I'm assuming I can delete it in the preferences pane of the app, once I know the app.

I'm running 10.5.5 on an early 2008 MBP 2.4

It looks like this (it's the "S" on the far left):

Attached Files:

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

I haven't seen that before, so this is just a guess.... is it Skype?

What happens when you click on it? What happens if you click and hold on it?

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Open your account preferences and look under login items. Might be able to identify it there.

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

It looks a bit like the Sky TV 'S' in the UK.

Not sure though.

5. fwhh macrumors regular

This is SmartPanel for Samsung Printers.
    If you want to delete it: it's in /Library/Printers/SPanel

6. TimNiego thread starter macrumors newbie

chainprayer, it wasn't a virus.

snberk103, it's not Skype. (That looks like an oval with an S and no head)

ebel, I had checked login items too. Thanks for the idea.

R.Youden, not sure about Sky TV, we don't get that channel in Southern California.

fwhh, you're the winner. When I saw "Samsung" in your post i remembered that I had to install a Samsung Printer driver to print the last time I was in the office. I even reread the installer log and it made no mention of a panel. The "S" was grayed out because there is currently no Samsung printer on my home network. Thanks for knowing exactly what and where it was.

7. quotemeas macrumors regular

Instead of deleting the app from your Library folder (might cause an issue or if you need to continue using that printer), just Command + drag the icon out of the menu bar. As long as it is not in your Login Items, it will not reappear.

8. TimNiego thread starter macrumors newbie

quotemeas,
    The fact that I could not command+drag the icon from my menu bar caused my initial concern. I could drag and move the other menu items on the right side of my menu bar, but not the "S" in question. It also wasn't one of my login items.

I did delete the panel before I read your post, but have the .dmg to reinstall the printer driver/ panel if needed once I get back to that office. Thx.