HELP! Illustrator and XML Database?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by macgfxdesigner, Aug 3, 2007.

1. macgfxdesigner macrumors regular

So here is my dilemma, I am trying to figure out how to make my illustrator files dynamic, by letting the content be updated via a database or xml database. I work for a company where the content on our sale aids changes very often and copy and pasting is getting old. I have heard of SVG but its confusing and not sure how to even start making a template

Does anyone know how to do this and if so training I can take to learn how to do this or any other programs or ways of doing this?

Thank you in advance.

Matt

2. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

InDesign might be a better choice since it is more for layout. Illustrator is for your Illustrations.

InDesign has support for XML integration. What type of files are you trying to keep updated? Is it prices or are you completely reflowing the XML data from Web/Print etc.

If you are heavy heavy into XML Adobe Framemaker might be a better choice too, but it is for the Deep XML user.

3. macgfxdesigner thread starter macrumors regular

Its prices and property names, just data that can change every week or every quarter...

Indesign is something I need to learn, any good books or tutorials?

4. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

If you want to use flow in prices and have them update you will need a plugin. I would recommend autoprice by meadows software. Unfortunately, it is not cheap ~&3000. This is what most catalog companies use.

As for training, the Lynda Hands on Training books (HOT) are decent. Otherwise take a class with an adobe trainer is the best way to learn the program inside out.

(Disclosure: I am an InDesign trainer, so I am a little biased towards taking training)