HELP: I'm Clueless

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Loadmasher, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Loadmasher macrumors newbie

Sorry for the vague thread title, but quite honestly it's the truth! I've searched through the forums and haven't quite been able to find the answer I'm looking for. I've also asked some of the "geniuses" at the local Apple store and they haven't been able to help either. I've recently made the switch from the PC to the Mac world and I'm struggling with video editing. Here's the issue I'm having at the moment.

I have friend of mine that played in the NFL. He gave me a couple of DVD's that contain raw video footage with his game highlights on it. I was going to take the video and edit to include music and graphics as gift to him. I have used handbrake to copy it several different times into different formats. The problem comes when I try to import it into iMovie to begin the editing process. iMovie will not recognize the file.

I'm freaking lost at this point in time. Can anybody please help a Mac newb out? Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your time!

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

What preset, if any, are you using in HandBrake. Also, you don't have to use HandBrake unless the DVDs are copy protected which if they are from the NFL and were mass produced they probably are. If they are not, when the disc pops up on your desktop, open it and drag the files into a folder where you want them. Download MPEG Streamclip and convert the files to .mov. Then, in iMovie, import the files and that should solve your problem.
    BTW, you should also use Streamclip to convert the files you already have imported on your machine.

Regards,
    David

3. Loadmasher thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! As far as I know the disk is not Copyright protected. They weren't mass produced or anything. One of the video guys on the team compiled all the footage for him and strung it all together in one continuous clip. When I open the disc, the files that display are the .ifo and .bup files. Are these the ones I want to covert using MPEG streamclip? Thanks again for the quick response David!

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

These are the ones you need to convert in MPEG Streamclip. Any files in the VIDEO_TS folder you should convert. If it's in one continuous clip, then you should only have to convert one file.

Regards,
    David

5. alixki macrumors newbie

Import problem from MPEG Streamclip to iMovie 6

Hi!

I am using MPEG 1.9.2 to see my JVC HDD .mod files. After purchasing and downloading Quicktime MPEG-2 Converter, I was able to view these files
    after I imported them. I exported them as .dv and .mpeg with audio so that
    i could import them into imovie 6 but was unable to do so. They just didn't
    import.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help!