Help! I'm locked out of my router!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lamina, Nov 29, 2007.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I upgraded the firmware on my router to do some QoS stuff. It ended up messing up some other services, so I restored it back to Tomato, which I was running before.

I downloaded DD-WRT and installed it over Tomato, which I was using previously with no issues. From DD-WRT, I put Tomato back on. I don't know the login and password. The Readme that comes with Tomato says the default is root/admin, and I've tried all variations of all passwords I can think of.

I've held the reset button (which doesn't seem to even reset it), tried unplugging it for an hour, tried yelling at it... nothing.

Please help! I am still able to connect to the internet wirelessly, but I would like to be able to administer my router, as my street is full of university kids, and I actively filter out their MAC addresses.

PS: I have a Linksys WRT54G

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Hi - you have to hold that reset button for at least 5 seconds - it will restart the router eventually. But be aware that it resets it to factory defaults.

3. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

I held it for about 30 seconds shouting profanities.

I think the firmware took over the button function.

4. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Obviously not the correct profanities!

Just as a guess here, but what if you unplug it, depress the reset button, and then plug it in whilst holding the reset, profanity optional. Otherwise, you should be able to call Linksys and ask for help - or possibly a google. I only knew about the reset button because I benched a Linksys router for a D-Link that operates much better and has all the options I wanted. I had to reset the Linksys numerous times.

5. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

6. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert