help im shooting my first short film. super nervous

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Feb 19, 2014.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

hey guys,

I need advice. I want this to be quality. Im going to be using my t1i and 5d mark2 to film this and of course edit this in fcpx. Will I be able to get the proper results using this combo. Ive filmed a lot but never anything like this..

any advice?

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I think we need a little more info in order to give any advice. How many people are working on this with you? Are you also involved in lighting, sound, etc. or are you only shooting? Without knowing the who, what, why, where of it all, it's hard to give any other device other than be prepared for anything and everything to go wrong.

Also, what resolution are you shooting? If memory serves, the t1i only does 1080 at a lower fps.

3. Unami macrumors 6502a

it won't fail because of the camera and the editing program. more important are a good script, good acting, sound and lighting. can't fix that in post. use the magic lantern hack for more control over your cameras.

make sure that everything is planned well ahead (have a storyboard, if possible; maybe rehearsals with the actors) - but be prepared to improvise - and plan in enough time for setting up lighting, set design, and getting good sound. and don't forget something to eat & drink for you and your crew.

4. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

https://vimeo.com/86785551 it's the part 2 to this. It's basically gonna be like a music video. Like a silent movie to music. We have the actors and the studio location already. Lighting is available at the loft plus it has great natural lighting too.

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Don't bank on natural lighting. A few clouds and you're ruined. Plus you can't control it in general. If you can ALWAYS control your own lighting so that you can get the exact look you want.

Silent movie does help you a bit because you don't have to record audio which is always a major problem in movies from people without a lot of experience. Lighting is always second in the issue list though.

6. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I always have my lights with me. Plus I can rent from location..

7. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

24p 1080p on 5d mark 2

8. ScubaGos macrumors newbie

Your cameras won't be the limiting factor provided you aren't trying to do any crazy camera movies. And the fact that you don't need dialogue is a HUGE plus, since that is where most beginner short films fall down.

As the others have mentioned, try and have some version of storyboards done in advance of shooting. They are a great way to make sure everyone is on the same page, with how things should/could be in terms of layout, and blocking. If you can do some basic walkthoughs of the actual location in advance of shooting that is even better (director and D.O.P. should both be present). A lot of time can be wasted on set if there are differences of opinion between Director and D.O.P., and this will only distract the actors.

Have a shot list done with the most critical shots needed for full coverage highlighted. That can give you the flexibility to then try something more ambitious as an extra take.

Be VERY conservative in estimating how much time each scene will need. It almost always takes WAY longer than you'd think.

Good luck with it. Am trying to write another short film myself at the moment.

9. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

All the advice given above is very sound and you should certainly follow it. However there is another way of making movies. And that is by pretty rapidly shooting lots of interesting scenes (and any key scenes needed for a story), and than during the editing more or less build your story from the material.
    It is not for the fainthearted but it can give very creative results with surprising quality. The editing process will take much longer but the preparation-phase and the actual shooting will be shorter, so overall there is no real difference in the time needed. But it usually is cheaper as the editing is cheaper than shooting.
    Just a thought!

10. MacLC macrumors 6502

timeline

Also important at least to me would be how much time you have to complete the production. 13 years ago seems like yesterday except that I had to edit by myself, on a 400mhz G4, what became a 40 minute short. There was 2 weeks of shooting and 1 month of editing time, 6-7 weeks total.
    It was filmed on an early Sony Digital Handycam that recorded on digital tape.

To be honest, that and FCP (2 or 3) were enough for video (audio was another story but you don't have to worry about that in your case). A good photographer beats a good camera 99% of the time. Though if Part 1 was 5 days ago and you are rushing on Part 2, I imagine you have a shorter timeline.

Anyway, your equipment seems fine especially if you keep the same theme, though don't forget, to capture your audience you need to successfully convey your message to them/us. Part 1 (1st half great slow scenes, 2nd half too many different angles in a short time, as if it were mimicking CIS which is fine if your audience likes that) conveys the mood of the girl stood up, though with lack of color I it almost looked as though she had lip gloss without makeup. Also as a man I did get distracted by the repeated scene of her sitting down on the couch and forgot to be sad for a bit. Same with the butt shots. I get it, she's hot, but you've got to keep the mood of us feeling her loneliness. Maybe anatomy just easily distracts me.

If you work on what message you want for Part 2 and know what color mode you want to use (please anything but that Schindler's List style where only the rose is in color), see how your camera picks that up. If you find limitations, see how you can change lighting to compensate before you actually shoot. Since you know the setting, it should be easy enough. I really look forward to watching Part 2.

11. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

A few clouds aren't too nice, but when you have a nice sheet of clouds that just lets in some soft, white sunlight... :cool:

12. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

that was terrific advice thank you...