Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
When jailbreaking my iPod it was stopped midway through restarting after the jailbreaking. It was, and is, stuck on the initial Apple logo screen. How do I get my laptop to recognize it so I can restore? Or, how to I get it off the Apple logo screen?

Edit: Forgot to mention, if I turn it off by holding the power and home buttons when I turn it back on it goes right back to the Apple logo.

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
When jailbreaking my iPod it was stopped midway through restarting after the jailbreaking. It was, and is, stuck on the initial Apple logo screen. How do I get my laptop to recognize it so I can restore? Or, how to I get it off the Apple logo screen?

Hold the sleep button and the home button at the same time until your iPod turns off and turns back on (takes about 10 seconds). When your iPod lights back up again, let go off the sleep button but continue to hold the home button. The Apple logo will change, and you can then connect to your computer and use iTunes to restore.
If iTunes says it can't restore, just keep trying, it'll work. Something similar happened to me. Good luck : )

druranium

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Keep trying

I was stuck here yesterday for 20 mins or so. Here's a thread about the problem: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/369109/

And also the following is from the TouchFree thread by planetbeing:

NOTES ON RESTORING
------------------

You can restore at any time during or after the jailbreak process. Your iPod will be in a fresh, un-jailbroken
state.

If you're having trouble restoring your iPod, first put it into recovery mode:

- Disconnect your iPhone from your Mac or Windows computer.
- Press and hold the sleep/wake and home buttons simultaneously for about 20-30 seconds,
until you see a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the middle accompanied by
the text "Please Connect to iTunes."
- Now try to restore with iTunes.

If you're still having trouble, a reboot of your computer is often helpful.

I end the iTunesHelper.exe process, which is responsible for launching iTunes whenever an iPod is connected. So if you connect your iPod and iTunes doesn't appear and sync as always, just open iTunes yourself and tell it to sync. It should work fine. A reboot of your computer will restore the iTunesHelper.exe process.

I didn't have any luck holding both buttons down for 20-30 seconds, it just rebooted over and over....BUT after i did this I turned it off (held both buttons till screen went dark), THEN held both and let go of sleep and held home when apple logo showed, and after 10 secs or so I got the bloody "connect to iTunes' screen. It's very picky it seems.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I still can't get to the sync screen with either method you said.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
It should work. Can you tell me what's happening when you're doing it?

Ok. From off:
1. turn on
2. hold sleep/home buttons untl unit turns off
3. unit turns immediately back on (continuing to hold s/h buttons)
4. lets go of sleep button
5. remains on Apple logo

OR

1. turn on
4.after approx 5-10 seconds unit turns off (now letting go of buttons)
(if buttons continue to be held unit does not turn on)
5. lets go of buttons, then holds both buttons again to turn on
6.lets go of sleep button
7.remains on Apple logo

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Ok. From off:
1. turn on
4. lets go of sleep button
5. remains on Apple logo

OR

1. turn on
4.after approx 5-10 seconds unit turns off (now letting go of buttons)
(if buttons continue to be held unit does not turn on)
5. lets go of buttons, then holds both buttons again to turn on
6.lets go of sleep button
7.remains on Apple logo

Are you letting go of the sleep button as soon as the Apple logo comes on?

It is kind of odd that your unit turns back on immediately.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Are you letting go of the sleep button as soon as the Apple logo comes on?

It is kind of odd that your unit turns back on immediately.

Do you mean when the unit turns back on immediately?

If so, then yes.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I got it working. I just had to restart my MBP.

I followed the same instructions but this time instead of my iPod turning right back on it stayed off for a few seconds before turning back on. (By the way, it was plugged into the computer at the time, I know this wasn't it because I'd tried doing it plugged in already, it really was the restart.)

I hate it when the age-old solution works.

Edit: Thanks for all the help solyd.

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
I got it working. I just had to restart my MBP.

I followed the same instructions but this time instead of my iPod turning right back on it stayed off for a few seconds before turning back on. (By the way, it was plugged into the computer at the time, I know this wasn't it because I'd tried doing it plugged in already, it really was the restart.)

I hate it when the age-old solution works.

Good to hear :)

nunmrat

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
i'm having the same issue with my touch. Sorry if this question sounds silly but what's the MPB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.