Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunspark*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
uh oh. This morning my refurbished i7 2011 27in suddenly gave me a light blue screen. I shut if off, turned it back on and it ran fine for about 5 minutes and did it again.

Now after a few boots trying to get it running, on the boot up white screen w the apple on it, it also has about 1 inch wide vertical stripes about 6 inches apart.. then it just goes to a white screen.

What does this sound like? It can't be good I know that.

help!

sunspark*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Ok. So I took it in for repair -- first they said it was the power supply, switched it out, the graphics card was fine they said. One last test before me picking it up, the graphics card failed. It's been in the shop 10 days now.

Now finally today, they have reinstalled the graphics card and say the display is not functioning. Want me to install a new display for $550 or just buy a new computer…

I am so frustrated.

are they just trying to rip me off?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Get rid of it. I went through this with my 2011 i7 27". Five times to Apple for repairs and the same things replaced as is being done to yours. I had power supply, screen & graphics card replaced. Still had issue, so they were going to replace logic board and something else before I wrote corporate an email explaining my concerns. Lucky I had AppleCare at the time. Apple eventually replaced mine with a new machine.

Had it not been for AppleCare, it would have cost me more to repair than a new machine. I always believed there was to much heat produced in the 2011 27" that caused the problems. When I worked mine, it became almost to hot to the touch and fans would run maxed out. My late 2012 27" is exactly the opposite. The only time it works, but still stays cool to the touch, is when I am rendering in After Effects.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
Mine went in for the gpu which they then decided was a display fault and wanted £450.00 for a new display!!

It's not worth the cost and I'm sure it's the gpu as the display sometimes works perfectly, surely the fault would be there all the time if it was the display

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.