Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I bought an 8,1 imac for a friend.

It came with 120GB SSD which I pulled AFTER making a time machine backup.

So fitted a 640GB HDD and booted from 10.6 DVD and tried to put time machine backup back.
Failed twice.

So installed 10.6 all ok.

Now Im using a windows keyboard and I cannot get to recovery on boot to try again.
tried windows + R, alt + R and CTRL + R.

please help why can I not get to recovery.
Tried to download el capitan via store.
Click "get" and nothing happens.

Need help get el capitan back on it.

machine is at work and no apple keyboard or other mac (with firewire for target mode)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Recovery was only added with Lion, so the Snow Leopard install would remove the CMD (Win key) + R option.

Best thing to do is copy an El Cap installer from a computer you already updated and then install it that way if the App Store is being stubborn. Default location is in Applications and it'll be called something like Install OS X El Capitan. If you've already got a Mac which has been updated to 10.11, it should be there.

Reactions: CoastalOR

elf69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
thanks that explains why.

only mac that has the installer is not here as replaced my macbook with the air as macbook keyboard failed.

there is 9 updates for the system so will try that and try store again.

if not have to wait til get the installer off my other mac

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
thanks that explains why.

only mac that has the installer is not here as replaced my macbook with the air as macbook keyboard failed.

there is 9 updates for the system so will try that and try store again.

if not have to wait til get the installer off my other mac

No problem Elf. With SL there may be a few App Store issues until updating to 10.6.8 (if it's not already on that version). So hopefully it'll be downloadable after you've ran some OS updates -- but if not, it shouldn't be an issue to copy the installer.

Have a great day! :)

elf69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
it was on 10.6.8 as did the combo update but still had more to do.

working now. signed into app store with my account.

after upgrade will remove my account and add my friends when I deliver it to him

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.