HELP!: iMac display starting up with 'white noise'!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by heyday, Oct 4, 2008.

1. heyday macrumors newbie

Hi

My 24" iMac (6 months old) has worked perfectly until recently it started 'starting up' and 'shutting down' with a load of white noise. A picture of this from my mobile phone is attached.

Has anyone had this problem before and does anyone know if it's a driver or hardware of software conflict.

Many thanks for your help

heyday

Attached Files:

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Theres another thread similar to this already. But yes, I have exactly the same problem here on my 20" alu 2.4ghz iMac (aug 2007 model). It started either right after the recent Java update, or possibly the 10.5.5 update.
    I first noticed it happen as I was shutting the iMac down, I thought it had crashed, but it continued to shut down as normal otherwise. Then yesterday, it did it after booting up too. But the artefacts are easily cleared by 'wiping' away with any desktop window. So it's not proved to be a big problem at all so far, as the mac otherwise behaves perfectly normally.
    So I'd be inclined to think this is a minor software problem, rather than hardware.

3. hamyo macrumors newbie

Yes. As am I having the same problem. It happened shortly after updating several updates. (either including the 10.5.5 update, or at least very close to the same time it was updated).

Luap,
    You mentioned something about another similar thread about this already. Would you be able to direct us to it, perhaps. (or someone else, please point us in the right direction, if you would be so kind)

Hopefully we can fix the issue and get back to normal.

Thank you for your time!
    -James-

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I had this too, but at a smaller degree. My MacBook's screen will get some artifacts, but not the entire desktop. Just reset the PRAM/SMC and all should be normal.

5. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

This is the one:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=568012
    It's still on the 1st page at the time of posting. A lil scroll down and you would have found it ;)

For whatever reason, my iMac stopped doing it now. Don't ask me why because I don't know!
    Still, its a strange problem, in that a few of us have had it, with the same symptoms and at the same time. IE, After the 10.5.5/Java updates.
    I still think its a minor software gremlin..

Good luck :)

6. hamyo macrumors newbie

Yes, that was it. Funny as it is, it looks to be that 1) having "too many icons on the desktop" (~20 or more, or so) AND 2) Running the 10.5.5 update were the two factors that caused those "White noise" artifacts.

So by simply 'tidying' up my desktop, sorting things out, I now have about 15 icons on my desktop and I do not see the artifacting issue when starting up.

Hopefully in a new point release for the OS, Apple can address this issue. (fingers crossed) and thank you everyone for you assistance.

Best Regards!
    -James-