HELP! iMac freezes with vertical pixelated lines

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Barnum, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Barnum macrumors newbie

My computer (24" 3.06Ghz intel core 2 duo) won't start. When I try to turn on or restart my iMac I get vertical rows of pixelated lines across my monitor on the white startup background with the apple logo and it will either freeze up or the background turns gray and I get a message that says I should restart my computer. This has also happened when restarting using the Apple hardware test (which doesn't report any errors). My warranty has expired so what should I do?

My computer problem looks similar to this image.

[​IMG]

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You're going to have to take it in to the shop anyway. Looks like a logic board failure to me.

3. SophBleep macrumors newbie

SophBleep

I agree, sorry but your mac looks a little bit screwed. Hope it can get fixed! i feel really sorry for you. :(

4. Barnum thread starter macrumors newbie

Financially this couldn't come at a worse time for me. How much should I expect to shell out for a new logic board, or should I consider buying a new computer? If it's the later, I may have to consider getting a (ugh!) windows computer.:(

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My guess would be about $400 for the logic board, but I haven't had a failure in an iMac so I can't say for sure.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

When the logic board in my 2006 20" iMac died 6 weeks out of the limited warranty a few years ago it cost me $550 to replace it.

Needless to say, I've purchased AppleCare for every Mac I've owned since then.

That does look like a logic board or GPU failure. If so, it is the same repair in either event: logic board replacement.

7. Barnum thread starter macrumors newbie

If the computer is shot is it possible to use the imac screen as a monitor for another computer?