HELP! iMac G5 Rev. B 17 extremely slow!!!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fabio_gsilva, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Fabio_gsilva macrumors 6502

Fabio_gsilva

A friend of mine uses a iMac G5 at work, and since last month it became slower and slower that now she is almost not using the machine.

It run on Tiger, with all software updates ok. Besides Word and Safari, 80% of her day she spends on Freehand, from macromedia (was macromedia, wasn't?), and only 30 gigs of HD used, and 1 gb of RAM.

She called me in despair, because to open an image that used to occur imediately, now it's taking five or more minutes. Help Desk at her company just doesn't know nothing about macs, and aren't helping at all.

I pointed to her 2 softwares that could help: disk warrior and drive genius, and now she is trying with drive genius.

Somebody could hel with it?

Thanks!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's a check list of stuff to start with...

1) Repair permissions and repair the disk (mostly the latter). While you're at it, make sure the disk status is SMART verified.
    2) Open Activity Monitor and see if there're any unexpected processes taking up a lot of processor time
    3) Create a new account on the computer for testing purposes, and see if the new account behaves in the same way.

3. Fabio_gsilva thread starter macrumors 6502

Fabio_gsilva

Thanks!