Help? iMac/iLife '08 compatible camcorder suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by YahYah24, Feb 1, 2008.

1. YahYah24 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I can't tell you all how happy I am to have found this forum. After, literally, weeks of searching for "that 1 perfect camcorder" in a sea of not-so-compatible-with-iMovie from the iLife '08 Suite, I'm pretty much driving myself blind over the issue.

I'm a brand new Mac user. I just bought my new iMac last weekend but I've known I need a new camcorder for a while now, so I've been searching... in anticipation for using the two together. I've been focusing my efforts on the "JVC Everio GZMG555 5MP 30GB Hard Disk Drive Camcorder with 10x Optical Zoom (Includes Docking Station)" but have seen a mixture of reviews. Most point the direction of "not so good with macs".

Help.. please?

I need a camcorder that:

- records to Hard Drive and SD/SDHC
    - is simple to move data from storage onto my computer
    - produces formats that are completely and directly compatible with the mac

My last "need" is a redundant statement, I realize, but I really have a strong need to be able to just take the SD card out of the slot and plug it into the reader and... move the data onto my computer's hard drive. I do not want to be messing around with multi-step processes to finally reach the proper format so mac can read it, Y'know? A 1-step-deal. Same goes with USB/firewire transfer from camcorder to iMac.

Are there any camcorders that work this flawlessly with the mac platform that are decently and reasonably priced? Currently I'm looking in the $500+/- range.

Thank you so much
    YahYah24

2. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Here's a link to a list of cameras that apple says work with iMovie 08.

link

3. YahYah24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Easiest to transfer data...

Thank you so much for the list, I visited it first thing this morning. I'm here at the bookstore (again) researching different brands, models, and prices.

I guess my main question, right now is: which camcorder is the easiest to use when transferring data from camcorder to computer?

My ideal situation would be that I could transfer to computer with 1 single step. If that process involved no cables or wires (SD/SDHC) then my expectations would be exceeded. And if all of this could be achieved without a loss of data quality... Well, 'wow', right??

I'm looking at spending around $500.00 (give or take). This price range could be a pipe-dream but I'm working the Internet resources available through price comparison sites so I think I might be able to swing it.

One final point I'm looking at is the recording format. As of yesterday I've set my sites on a camcorder that records in the MPEG-4 & H.264 format. I think it's called the 'AVCHD' format?

I'm unclear what the benefits/drawbacks are between the two, so I figured MPEG-4 is .... Better than MPEG-2..?

Thank you so much, again. Any feedback would be tremendously helpful at this point. I'm incredibly eager to learn of the experiences by other MAC users in particular.

YahYah24

P.S.
    typing on iPhone. Plz forgive spelling/grammar errors.

4. md2721 macrumors newbie

which camcorder?

I just read your thread, which camcorder did you buy-anyone else have any info to add/assist?
    thanks

5. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

i'm using a Canon ZR800 with my Mac-works perfectly with iMovie and even could be used for Photo booth.

6. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I just picked up the Canon HV20. It's a great high-def camcorder, although it's MiniDV and not hard drive based. I decided to opt for MiniDV because tape offers you better quality than a hard drive camcorder does. I also like the idea of having the tapes as backup as opposed to an endless number of external hard drives.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The one you've chosen seems to be supported according to the list on Apple's website...

8. eliottfisk macrumors newbie

Camcorder issue...

Hey guys,
    I bought a Canon Vixia HF100 camcorder and having trouble with the download into imovie. It shows the thumbnails, but when it's time to download, it shuts off the program immediately. I am running it through a USB, but wondering if I need to use a firewire??
    Thanks,
    Eliott

9. eliottfisk macrumors newbie

Do you need to use a firewire with HD format camcorders? I'm having trouble with the download.

10. eliottfisk macrumors newbie

Do you need to use a firewire with HD format camcorders? I'm having trouble with the download.:mad:

11. mrowl macrumors regular

no, my samsung has USB and works fine with iMovie