HELP! iMac screen gone all sketchy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 8thMan, Mar 21, 2008.

1. 8thMan macrumors regular

8thMan

The screen on my G5 iMac 1.8 is starting to act weird. After a few minutes of use, the colors will begin to shift and go out of register. It gets worse and then I get a window (by now barely readable) indicating that I have to restart. After restart, it's fine for a while, and then it happens again. Has anyone seen this problem? Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats a kernel panic and usually indicates a hardware problem although it can be sometimes software related. there could be a problem with your screen or graphics card or maybe even your logic board.

a repair may be in order and seeing as though you have a G5 iMac im assuming you warranty is over unless you have Apple Care with some time left. a repair with a hefty bill may be in order. ring Apple support.

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yep, I agree with the above poster. It sounds serious and kernel panic attacks (here is a screenshot of one, is this what you see?) are often serious by themselves (if they are recurring) and can be be a symptom of hardware problems. Call Apple or take it to the Genius Bar.

4. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

"kernal panic"

I really don't know what a "kernal panic" is but I've surfed this board long enough to know that it's not good news. I'll try reinstalling OSX but if it's a hardware problem then I guess I'll have to choose between imagining that it might correct itself or taking it in for repair. If the whole thing up and dies on me, I can always pull the hard drive, right?

5. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Yes, that's the message I get -- a couple times a day now. The fact that it's in four languages does not encourage me. :(

6. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

7. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

So I ran Apple Hardware Test and it did not detect any problems. I would bring the machine in for repair, but the problem is intermittent. I would really rather not wait until the whole thing goes south on me. Curse these mandatory appliances! :mad:

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Define "intermittent." Does it happen randomly every few weeks, or can it pretty reliably happen every day or two? If it's the latter, the Genius Bar will likely catch it while they have it there.

9. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Every day or two.

Thanks for the advice; I'll let the Genius Bar have a shot at it.