Help: Imac screen is frozen when awoken from sleep

Discussion in 'iMac' started by that21guy, Jul 12, 2013.

1. that21guy macrumors newbie

Hey could someone help me with this?

Over the past week or so, when I wake my iMac up from sleeping (build 12E55, running OS 10.8.4) the screen comes on always, but it does not respond to my mouse (don't see the mouse anywhere, actually). I can still adjust screen brightness and volume with my keyboard, but the symbols for those don't even come up on the screen.:mad::mad::mad:

I've never had a problem like this and hope I can get it fixed soon. Any help is appreciated!

2. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

More information needed. Are you saying it stays frozen for a while and then begins operating normally and displays the same behaviour when restarting. Or have you not been able to get it going again. Or do you do a forced restart to get it going and then it freezes again the next time?

First of all you should make sure you have a bootable clone of your HD in case you need to send it in for repair.

3. that21guy thread starter macrumors newbie

It displays the same "screen freezing" behavior whenever I wake it up from sleeping. It doesn't operate normally with time (i.e., the screen stays frozen although I can hear the clicking sounds when adjusting volume on my keyboard). To fix the problem so far, I've been force restarting it which I know is probably not best for my HD. To prevent the problem I've basically been turning my computer off every time I leave it because I don't want to repeat the ordeal when it falls asleep.

Is bootable clone the same thing as backing up with Time Machine? Sorry I know I'm extra ignorant of terminology these days! Thanks for the help

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

This is a known issue. Apple may be working on it, although they're typically mum about it.

You can't boot from Time Machine it's just a backup.

5. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

My mid 2010 21.5" i3 does the same thing. Found if I use the power button or space bar on the keyboard to wake it, it is fine. If I use the mouse...it freezes and usually results in a hard reboot. 12gb ram and Logitech mk710 peripherals. At least this was the case until tonight when I had a power outage and the surge protector didnt do its job and now I think I have a fried psu.

Try the space bar or power button OP.

6. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I can't help fix your problem, but do not worry about restarting your machine damaging anything, least of all your hard drive which is designed to accommodate 10's of thousands of power cycles - more than you could do in a lifetime. If as a temporary fix, you need to shutdown and later restart, don't worry about it.

7. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

No it is not the same. Download Superduper, it is free to use to make a bootable clone, in fact you are better off with a bootable clone than using Time Machine. If your HD goes down, you can plug the bootable clone in and boot from it by holding down the option key. If your HD is replaced you can boot from the clone and then clone the clone back to the HD and it's all brand new again (with the added bonus of defragging the HD)

If you have to choose a bootable clone OR TM, then choose a bootable clone.

Force restarting shouldn't hurt the HD.

If you buy SD then after the initial back up you can use Smart Update which only updates whatever had changed.

8. boriel, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

boriel macrumors newbie

Same here (iMac 2012).
    I have prevented it to hang, disabling the option to Spin down the Hard Disk upon sleep in the Energy Saver preferences pane. It wont save as much energy as previously when idle, but at least it works. Has anybody tried this?