Help iMac stuck in boot camp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nordichund, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Hello, my brand new 24" iMac finally arrived today. It's a beautiful machine and I'm a first time Mac user. Unfortunately when I was trying to install XP using Boot Camp, when I came to the "Welcome to Setup" and was supposed to press "Return" to set up Windows XP, my keyboard seems to have stopped working. I also tried pressing "R" and "F3" but nothing happened. I even turned the iMac off and restarted it, but the XP disc just booted up again and I arrived at the same place where I am now. I cannot even eject the CD from the Rom. So now I am just stuck with the blue screen, and I have had to post this on my old Dell. :(

Is there any kind person who can help or knows how to eject the CD without damaging the machine?

Thanks for your time

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Hold down the mouse button on startup to eject the disc.

Alternatively, you can hold down the "option" key to open the bootloader and select Mac OS X again.

3. Nordichund thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot StealthRider, the CD just popped out a big relief I can tell you.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Congrats on your new baby. That should be a sign. You just got a new iMac and the first thing you do is install Windows? Karma:D
    Also IF (hopefully) you plan to use OS X most of the time (hopefully) make sure to go to the StartUp Disk in System Preferences and select Mac OS X 10.4 as the startup disk otherwise it will revert back to......well...Windows.:rolleyes:

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As for the root problem, it appears that you don't have SP2.

6. Nordichund thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice and the welcome. Actually the XP version I have is brand new with SP2.
    It´s been an interesting day today. When I plugged my iMac in and it tried to log onto the net, I ended up speaking to Apple support for more than 3 hours. I think it baffled them more than it did me. Still the two people I spoke with were very professional and enjoyed the challange. Then I tried to install XP through Boot Camp and this happened. It could have been worse I guess, I could have tried to install Vista.

Saying all this I am still in love with this machine, even though we got off to a tough start. It is as quiet as a mouse and not a dead pixel to be seen anywhere. Since I´m not a professional photographer or graphic designer I think the screen is magnificant, no problem with brightness or glare at all and OS Tiger rocks. I´m looking forward to Leopard which I will install in a couple of months time.

Oh yeah this is my first post on the Mac Forum using the Mac :D