Help: iMac won't go past white screen.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peronix, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Peronix macrumors newbie

I swear, this is the third computer that has had trouble in the last 2 weeks; I think someone up there hates me.:mad:

Anyway, as the title says, I turn on the iMac, it makes that signature bootup sound, and then it just won't boot up; all that shows is the white screen. Nothing, no flashing question mark (that's what happened to my macbook :(), nothing. I had a Windows XP disc in there when I was trying to install it on bootcamp, and it didn't work and exactly this happened. The only difference was, I could actually eject the CD by holding eject or the left mouse button. That isn't working. Yes I'm sure my keyboard is plugged in, as the last paragraph indicates.:)

I think it's worth noting why I restarted it in the first place... well the system appeared to be hung up... sorta. My cursor was showing up as "loading" when I hovered it over the desktop or the top bar. The dock and the programs on it worked fine, though.

So since I couldn't shut the computer down normally, obviously, I had to do a hard shut down. And when I started it back up, this happens.

I also tried holding the option key, nothing happens. Tried resetting the PRAM too, but aside from resetting the system a moment after I have had the keys held down, it doesn't appear to have helped. Help please... I really have no clue what is wrong with this thing. I can only pray that this isn't the THIRD computer I'll have to send in for repairs.

2. Peronix thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, never mind. I just unplugged the thing and plugged it back in, and it works fine now. I didn't think that would work... but I'm so glad it did :D