HELP! iMac wont respond to left click!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macdudesir, May 16, 2011.

1. macdudesir macrumors 6502

My iMac will not respond to left click. I was working and when i went to click on something in the dock, nothing happened. I tried a bunch of times and nothing...tried right clicking and it worked but i cant use OS X just with right clicks...i had just dropped my Magic Mouse so i decided to plug in a USB mouse and it still didn't work. So then I rebooted holding down the power button. When it came back on (to the white screen) the optical drive made a noise like it was trying to eject a CD (which as you know happens when you hold the left mouse button) so that really confused me even more. I am able to type this from Windows 7 where left click does work. However, I only gave windows 90GB so i can't use Windows forever. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

3. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

I did

I said that I tried using the Magic Mouse AND a logitech USB mouse that works on every other computer and has worked on the mac before. The Magic Mouse even works on Windows. I actually tried two USB mice and neither one worked.

4. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Apparently someone changed the setting in OS X for Primary Mouse button.

Attached Files:

5. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried that

I tried both mouse buttons on all three mice but it never left clicked. Also, that would be impossible since i was on it at the time it happened. Like I said, I just went to click Safari in the dock and it didnt work. System Preferences wasn't open either. I did think about that though, however, i wasn't able to get to the mouse prefs through spotlight (cmd+space then typed mouse since i cant click).

6. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to let you know, i tried reinstalling but when i put the CD in and rebooted it spit it out so i cant boot from the CD. Also, i remembered that 10 min before it happened i installed Rosetta to use Commador 64 on my mac (fun games haha). I do have a Time Machine backup but since i cant left click in mac i cant restore (unless there is a way to remote restore from windows on this mac or another computer)?

7. tsugaru macrumors 6502

If it works in Windows, it it just a setting in OS X.

Or try the good old reset PRAM and maybe the SMC.

Hold CMD + OPT + P + R immediately after pressing the power button.

Those are the only two things I can think of that will rectify your issue.

8. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!

YESSS THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I think resetting the SMC worked! I reset the PRAM and the same thing happened but then i reset the SMC and booted to mac and i clicked safari and it opened a youtube video, then i went to click the address bar and it stopped working again. So i tried clicking with my trackpad and it worked, then all the other mice started working again. Weird. But anyways, thank you so much and everyone who tried to help :)

9. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Do I win another internets?

I'm glad I was able to help you. Back to Portal 2.

10. TSS macrumors newbie

Mac won't respond to left click - check your trackpad

I have found that the left foot of my standalone trackpad has gotten a bit sticky thus sticks in which gives the mac a permanent left click!

I suspect you might have fixed yours by now but for others searching for the solution it may help.

11. kylesailor macrumors newbie

I did this, and it worked at first, but now it keeps happening after a few minutes.
    HELP!