Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jman5610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2022
new member here..

i have an old 2011 21” imac that im planning on selling but have no idea what it’s worth. i can find prices online from $100 to $600… does anyone have an idea as to how much i can get out of it? it works and everything but i just don’t use it anymore.

do i need to know additional info like storage space or model?? im not a mac genius so i figured i’d let the pros point me in the right direction.

appreciate all the responses in advance

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
When I go to sell a Mac, I put in a link to the everymac.com description, about screens show CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage, Discrete GPU, and the BlackMagic disk performance, DriveDX drive health.

I also post how I got it (new or used) and any information about the previous owner. Along with any known problems.

I'd say that it is worth $100 with an SSD and at least 16 GB of RAM. Less if it's a standard configuration.

I plan to sell a 2010 iMac 27 with i7 and 32 GB of RAM and I will be asking $100. Not sure if I will get that.

My approach is to list it for what I think is a fair price. If it does not sell, drop the price $25 every month until it sells.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
Jman,
Here's a link that'll give you a good idea of the retail price for your computer:
The closest model they show for sale is a mid 2014 that they're selling for $149 including free shipping.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'd say that it is worth $100 with an SSD and at least 16 GB of RAM. Less if it's a standard configuration.

I plan to sell a 2010 iMac 27 with i7 and 32 GB of RAM and I will be asking $100. Not sure if I will get that.

My approach is to list it for what I think is a fair price. If it does not sell, drop the price $25 every month until it sells.
Even without an SSD, the 2010 iMac 27" i7 32 GB RAM should easily go for over US$100, unless it's in poor condition.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Even without an SSD, the 2010 iMac 27" i7 32 GB RAM should easily go for over US$100, unless it's in poor condition.

Not in my area. I use the ask prices on 2011-2013 to compute the relative net worth of the 2010 and 2009. The one that I have is in great shape. When you see a 2013 for sale for $180, though, and it just sits there, then the likely clearing price of a 2010 is quite a bit lower.

2 examples:
Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 10.28.17 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 10.27.36 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: EugW

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Amazing! I had to smile at some comments here, although I don't dispute their factuality. For example "I plan to sell a 2010 iMac 27 with i7 and 32 GB of RAM and I will be asking $100. Not sure if I will get that."
If you want to get a good price for a 27" iMac it sounds like you are in the wrong country!
Here in Europe, 27" i5 (not i7) iMacs in excellent shape and also correct working condition - even the earliest from 2009 sell pretty well. A 2010 i5 27" especially with 32GB RAM will easily sell for 430euros (US$460). Let's be fair (imho) even 2x 16GB sticks of PC3-10600 memory alone would be worth 100$ without the iMac!
To put this into more perspective, I recently sold a good working 2009 27" iMac for 300euros (US$319) and the buyer was delighted. And just looking on a popular national site, I note a number of 2009 27" iMacs with dead graphic cards on offer ranging from 100-300euros (US$106 - US$319) - and they sell! I've bought one myself at 100euros and completely refurbished it with SSD etc. With clean install of High Sierra it works perfectly.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Amazing! I had to smile at some comments here, although I don't dispute their factuality. For example "I plan to sell a 2010 iMac 27 with i7 and 32 GB of RAM and I will be asking $100. Not sure if I will get that."
If you want to get a good price for a 27" iMac it sounds like you are in the wrong country!
Here in Europe, 27" i5 (not i7) iMacs in excellent shape and also correct working condition - even the earliest from 2009 sell pretty well. A 2010 i5 27" especially with 32GB RAM will easily sell for 430euros (US$460). Let's be fair (imho) even 2x 16GB sticks of PC3-10600 memory alone would be worth 100$ without the iMac!
To put this into more perspective, I recently sold a good working 2009 27" iMac for 300euros (US$319) and the buyer was delighted. And just looking on a popular national site, I note a number of 2009 27" iMacs with dead graphic cards on offer ranging from 100-300euros (US$106 - US$319) - and they sell! I've bought one myself at 100euros and completely refurbished it with SSD etc. With clean install of High Sierra it works perfectly.

2x8gb is $37 here. So 32 GB new is $74. I imagine you could find it for half that used. 2x16 GB in DDR3 is pretty uncommon in non-ECC. I know that it is very expensive for the Late 2015 iMac 27. I'm not even sure that you can put 16 GB sticks in the 2009-2015 iMacs. The standard setup is to use 4x8GB if you want to max out the RAM.

This listing is a month-old. The seller listed it at $400 several months ago and has been dropping the price about $25 a month. The 2013 with 32 GB RAM and upgraded video is asking $150 - I'm curious at what price this one ultimately sells for. You can't get a 5k monitor for this price. One of the risks in buying equipment this old is that they can die at any time - either completely or it could be a component.

There was a base M1 mini for sale in my area for $350 and it took a couple of weeks to clear. I think that they usually clear in the $400 - $450 area. There are lots of these listed at higher levels but they don't sell.

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 7.19.23 AM.png

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
shot high, aim low

ask for a price you want, then see of you can sell that!

but settle for what you need price-wise.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Here in Europe, 27" i5 (not i7) iMacs in excellent shape and also correct working condition - even the earliest from 2009 sell pretty well.
This is probably because new iMacs cost less here (US) than in Europe. This is arguably the "right country" for buying new iMacs (especially with frequent discounts on base models from third party sellers), but that depresses the value of used iMacs.

Reactions: pshufd

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This is probably because new iMacs cost less here (US) than in Europe. This is arguably the "right country" for buying new iMacs, but that depresses the value of used iMacs.
It might be the area. I find that at least here in Canada, low population density areas often have lower used prices than high population density areas. I live in Toronto, and US$100 is crazy low for a 32 GB 2010 27" Core i7 iMac. Note that new Mac prices in Canada are sometimes even cheaper than in the US. Even at launch, the Mac Studio for example was cheaper in Canada than in the US. The Mac mini M1 was just a few % more expensive in Canada than in the US.

Arlington, VA has a population of about a quarter million.
Toronto, ON has a population of about 3 million, and the Greater Toronto Area has a population of about 6 million.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
It might be the area. I find that at least here in Canada, low population density areas often have lower used prices than high population density areas. I live in Toronto, and US$100 is crazy low for a 32 GB 2010 27" Core i7 iMac. Note that new Mac prices in Canada are sometimes even cheaper than in the US. Even at launch, the Mac Studio for example was cheaper in Canada than in the US. The Mac mini M1 was just a few % more expensive in Canada than in the US.

Arlington, VA has a population of about a quarter million.
Toronto, ON has a population of about 3 million, and the Greater Toronto Area has a population of about 6 million.

I bought this 2010 iMac 27 i7 about a year ago. The owners said that they were going to bring it to the town dump if I didn't buy it. It appears that I was the only person interested in it. BTW, I paid $100 for it. So I basically gave them $100 and saved them a trip to the town dump. Their story is that their son bought it new and moved from home a few years later but left the iMac there for when he returned home to visit. So it had been unused for a long time. They had their own Macs. Their son, at some point, told them that he no longer wanted it. He had also wiped the HDD so that they couldn't boot it. I bring a bootable SSD, keyboard and mouse with me when I go to look at used Macs as you run into cases where the machine is just sitting in a basement or garage and it only has a power cord and the HDD or SSD doesn't work or it has already been wiped.

I see listings in Craigslist at European and Canadian prices but they don't move. They are there month after month after month. It's possible that someone who doesn't know any better buys them if inventory just happens to be low. Stuff that is priced right is gone in a few hours. Stuff that is priced above that can take a while to sell. There's lots of stuff that is just clearly overpriced that will never sell.

I have even seen newish Macs with asking prices over MSRP. I suspect that this is when delivery times on particular models are long.

Last edited:
Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I see listings in Craigslist at European and Canadian prices but they don't move.
The stuff definitely moves... on eBay from respectable sellers. It's more variable on Kijiji. I don't follow Craigslist.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The stuff definitely moves... on eBay from respectable sellers. It's more variable on Kijiji. I don't follow Craigslist.

It may be different markets then. I prefer the customer to come here (or I go there) so that it's a face-to-face transaction and so that they can try the system out. I allow returns for a week if they aren't happy. Ebay charges a fee and you have to arrange the delivery so it's a headache if you or the other party isn't satisfied.

If the prices on the buy and sell are consistent, then you really aren't losing anything. I would think that someone could just buy up the cheaper stuff on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist and resell it on Ebay. Maybe this does happen. I just don't see the high-priced stuff selling locally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.